my sunday

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well... it was one of those.. "just glad to be alive" Sundays..

the two brothers, and my niece (the daughter I always wanted) came over for a little bit of bottling. We put under cork my 2014 Chilean cab, my 2013 port, my 2014 Chilean cab, and a 2014 carmengere. a little early, but i needed the space.

my back hurts, but boy did we have fun!

I use the swirl and spit method of tasting. Like slick Willy once said "I didn't inhale").

At least that was the plan..

As we were bottling, my brother tasted some and said, "you need to taste this".

I said "can't, it's lent".

"Sundays are not a part of lent" he says,

I begin to waver. I notice how much fun everybody is having. Wine going into the bottle, great tunes playing, a variety of meat and cheeses to nosh on....

Seeing a small crack in my resolve, my brother comes out with.. "Lent is supposed to be an emulation of the 40 day fast that Jesus made in the desert. By my count, it has been 40 days since you last had any wine."

Did I mention that he was pouring a glass of wine (for me) as he was saying this????

Then my brother says.. "This stuff is really, REALLY, REALLY good!".

I smell the wine in the glass he just handed me. The nose on the wine was to die for!

Knowing that he had me, the brother says..."If it bothers you, you COULD always just have one less glass of wine on Easter...".

The brother was correct, that stuff was really, REALLY, REALLY good!".

Last edited:
I use the swirl and spit method of tasting. Like slick Willy once said "I didn't inhale").

I begin to waver. I notice how much fun everybody is having. Wine going into the bottle, great tunes playing, a variety of meat and cheeses to nosh on....

Seeing a small crack in my resolve, my brother comes out with.. "Lent is supposed to be an emulation of the 40 day fast that Jesus made in the desert. By my count, it has been 40 days since you last had any wine."

Did I mention that he was pouring a glass of wine (for me) as he was saying this????

I smell the wine in the glass he just handed me. The nose on the wine was to die for!

Knowing that he had me, the brother says..."If it bothers you, you COULD always just have one less glass of wine on Easter...".

Aw what harm can this 1 apple do?

I consider this acceptable.

I needed to bottle because my older brother was...

Almost out of wine! (dunt, dunt, dah..)

Besides, the snow has finally melted to the point where we could actually work, and we needed space for the Chilean crush coming up in a month or so.

First bottling party of the season! I can not wait for the next one. We sort of all agreed to wait until the weather warms up so that we can piggy-back a cookout on top of bottling. I promised my niece steak and lobster (just can't resist when she looks at me with those "blonde hair / blue eyes", but I digress).

The past 4 months or so has been the "dormant" time for winemaking. All of the wines have been racked twice and have simply been bulk aging. My wife says that the wine likes to hibernate for the winter. It was so good to get back into it and I am just raring to go.

For now I do have a number of chores to do..

Replace all hoses,

break down my 3 plate filter and replace the check valve, and ready it for use.

break down my 6 plate filter and ready it for use,

I broke one of my enolmatic fillers. The damn vacuum regulator snapped right off at the base. Sheesh! I need to replace the base ($80) and also the regulator ($40). Got the parts ordered and am just waiting for delivery.

I need to service my pump and get it all set to go. I also have a backup pump that needs servicing too.

I need to rack/filter all of the 2013 that we are about to bottle. The 2014 needs racking.

I then need to scrub and clean everything in sight!!!

I am glad that I enjoy doing this otherwise it would be too much like work!!!!

Does anybody else go into shutdown mode during the winter???

Latest posts

Back