My small workspace

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeflections

Reaction score
Still pretty new at this and I don't have a lot of space. I thought I'd share my new setup that makes it easy to rack and degas 5 gal carboys without moving them. I have the famous AIO Pump on the top shelf and it will reach all carboys where they sit. I can also pump the primary from the bottom shelf to any carboy on the work bench. Because I'm chronologically impaired, having the carboys at eye level and seldom having to move them when full is nice. I will still probably have to carry a full carboy into the kitchen when I bottle, but that is only once per batch. I could bottle here too using a plastic bin, but I'm kinda clumsy and I don't want to have to pull the carpet. _DSC7382-Edit.jpg

Very nice, but I would worry about that carpet. Spills and eruptions can happen. I would look into getting a large water proof mat (at least) that can be rolled up when not needed.

Yes, I agree. In fact, I have already ordered just that. What worries me is a carboy breaking. Does that happen?

Nice! I am thinking about how I can design a layout/equipment setup that will allow me a no-lift system. Any ideas are appreciated.

I agree with John D. The AIO pump is a good 1st step. I only wish I had a better space - bigger and with running water - so I could fill without moving a full carboy but I can only work with what I have. Of course to fill with the AIO pump I would probably still need to move the full carboy to the floor.

I agree with John D. The AIO pump is a good 1st step. I only wish I had a better space - bigger and with running water - so I could fill without moving a full carboy but I can only work with what I have. Of course to fill with the AIO pump I would probably still need to move the full carboy to the floor.

With the AIO you don't have to move the carboys at all unless you want to clean them once they are empty. I will say though you will get a few overfills by not stopping soon enough until you get used to it. I still get over flows on occasion so the carpet is still an issue.

With the AIO you don't have to move the carboys at all unless you want to clean them once they are empty. I will say though you will get a few overfills by not stopping soon enough until you get used to it. I still get over flows on occasion so the carpet is still an issue.
I have only used the AIO for filling once, but I put the carboy lower than the bottles as suggested by the directions. This worked like a charm filling all bottles identically and no overflows.

Takes some brass balls to hoist a full carboy 4’ above the concrete floor from those carboy neck handles.

I gotta see that in action!
Yeah, I should add a disclaimer, Use at your own risk...
I support the glass ones from the bottom when lifting. I've used this for a couple of years and so far so good for me.
One of the net style carboy haulers would definitely be safer.

Scares the crap out of me too!
on my AIO i change out my tubing yearly, when i went back with new line i bought 100 foot rolls, i cut 14 foot tubing, i never move anything except empty carboys, after cleaning, then i got a supply of small to extra small exam gloves and pull them over the carboy mouth, using extra small latex or nitrile gloves keeps my empty carboys clean and read to use
Dawg,

on my AIO i change out my tubing yearly, when i went back with new line i bought 100 foot rolls, i cut 14 foot tubing, i never move anything except empty carboys, after cleaning, then i got a supply of small to extra small exam gloves and pull them over the carboy mouth, using extra small latex or nitrile gloves keeps my empty carboys clean and read to use
Dawg,

I use baggies and rubber bands, similar principle.

Latest posts

Back