My SG is going up instead of down ,HELP !!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck on this, I cant imagine what happened with this batch but its off the chart weird!

Wade I think you posted somewhere else what type of wines were good to make sparkling wine with .I think one might have been chardonnay do you know right off hand what other types will work ?

Chenin Blanc, basically anything described as clean and crisp is typically a good candidate.

Just a little update about this wine the few bottles I did carbonate April 25 are working gave them a shake & they are all nice & bubbley .So i will ghive a little longer to see how they go before I sample any .So the alc % will be alot lower .

chenin blanc, unoaked chard, vignoir, riesling... typically sparkling wines are higher acid wines than still... and it will be difficult to control backsweetening since they will tend to ferment any sugars you introduce unless you follow through with full disgorgement and dosage.

So the alc % will be alot lower . ?????

What exactly do you mean by that?

Since it didn't go down to proper SG reading like it was suppose it won't have the same amount of alc % . At the SG - 1.010 it just below 5% alc .

Still lost, sorry. What was the starting sg of this wine and finished sg before adding anymore sugar to do the sparkling?

Latest posts

Back