My plan for 2017 wine from California grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've thought about doing that. But I like using the boiling water, as the bit of steam on the bottle serves to clean it up pretty nicely. So I capsule, wipe, then label.
This is what I do too. I used to use an embossing gun my wife had for crafts and I found they make the capsules come out all crinkly. The boiling water gets em more even amd smooth.

We bottled a 30 gallon barrel yesterday. I used a gravity feed filler with an automatic shut off and heat gun for the caps.

The automatic filler works great for elevated barrels! The heat gum makes adding caps quick and easy.

I had intended to bottle a 60 gallon barrel but the vacuum tube attachment on the Enomatic bottler broke as I was about to start. Add “fix it” to my to-do list.

We bottled a 30 gallon barrel yesterday. I used a gravity feed filler with an automatic shut off and heat gun for the caps.

The automatic filler works great for elevated barrels! The heat gum makes adding caps quick and easy.

I had intended to bottle a 60 gallon barrel but the vacuum tube attachment on the Enomatic bottler broke as I was about to start. Add “fix it” to my to-do list.

30 gallons = 12.5 cases. I did about 25 and felt beat up afterwards. Hopefully you had a better time at it.

Two months after bottling, and nearly two years since I dropped yeast on this wine, I sampled a bottle last night with my wife. No meaningful change in flavor since I tasted it at bottling time (not surprised). It does not offend me, but it is still far from my favorite.

Next taste will be over the holidays.

Lessons I'm taking from this experience:

* I think I'm done blending buckets of juice and grapes together.
* Coinoculation EVERYTIME.
* Simpler is better.

Latest posts

Back