My plan for 2017 wine from California grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still not in the financial shape we had hoped to be by now, so I'm going on the cheap:

1 - Chenin Blanc Juice bucket
1 - White Zin Juice bucket
1 - Pinot Grigio Juice bucket

The PG is for my younger brother (actually his wife), so he'll be paying for the raw materials, I just make it (he even supplies the bottles, I just have to clean them). The other two are for my wife to drink and/or give away, which she really enjoys.

I started doing an inventory tonight and have 76 gallons at various stages, but most will be over a year in the carboy by the end of next month, so I need to focus on bottling a batch or two each week or two. Have a lot of red wine, both fresh grapes and kits (Malbec, Cab Franc, Pinot Noir, Vieux Chateau du Roi, Brunello, Lanza Zin, Chianti, Syrah, plus a Blush kit and a bunch of various white wines (Chardonnay, Muscato, Pinot Grigio, Apple etc).

So I think I can miss a season or two and empty out a few carboys. I want to spend some time making some robust all grain beer batches since Fall is a great time weather wise to brew up some beer. As I bottle wine the larger glass carboys can be borrowed for fermenting beer as they become empty.

I decided to get a little ahead of myself and build a bucket press for this fall. Outer bucket spigot doesn't leak. Lots of holes in the strainer bucket. The cab bucket I ordered will finish out the pieces I need to make this work.

fd4040d17da7c42467fa0bbef9d7ef8a.jpg
89c5c49c9e70e2e870c2555f55746811.jpg
053b2e9eae7f24bf1b11dd0b4b2cc4ed.jpg
9784f8d62f001db59f2136ca9dad09d0.jpg

I decided to get a little ahead of myself and build a bucket press for this fall. Outer bucket spigot doesn't leak. Lots of holes in the strainer bucket. The cab bucket I ordered will finish out the pieces I need to make this work.

Looking good. I'll rent you my big butt....glass a wine an hour. (actually butt weights 25 lbs less than last time, I'll give you a discount, 3/4 glass of wine per hour, I think that is fair).

Just remembered I have 3-4 gallons of Petite Sirah skins in my freezer. What should I do with those??

If you do the three grape types in separate containers, you could always add them to one of those. You'll probably get whatever yeast you used with the Petite Syrah dominating that ferment, though.

I agree with BB, I'd use them in a kit, if you ever get another red one (I feel like we've created a whole grape monster (sorta like Frankenstein)).

Last edited:
If you do the three grape types in separate containers, you could always add them to one of those. You'll probably get whatever yeast you used with the Petite Syrah dominating that ferment, though.

I agree with BB, I'd use them in a kit, if you ever get another red one.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe the Petit Verdot. But, a cab or zin kit sounds pretty good, too.

Heather, what yeast are you using for your Chenin Blanc juice bucket? I was thinking of QA23 (I have it in my fridge), but if you have done one before with a different yeast I'd love to know your results.

My plan for the whites is ICV-D47 and BM4x4 for the reds. I have used this on whites in the past with good results. My last chenin blanc, I used Red Star Cote Blanc, and it turned out well.

I have two options for fresh grapes: Lodi and Suisun Valley. I plan to make cab Sauv, cab franc, merlot, and Sangiovese. It looks like the suisun Valley is about 33-50% more than Lodi. Any opinions?

I have two options for fresh grapes: Lodi and Suisun Valley. I plan to make cab Sauv, cab franc, merlot, and Sangiovese. It looks like the suisun Valley is about 33-50% more than Lodi. Any opinions?

Kits or fresh - the advice is the same. Buy the best you can affford. I bought the cab, Merlot and Petit Verdot from the Suisun valley for this year. Last year's Petite Sirah from there made me very happy.

I basically have the same decisions to make. I'm really not sure how common or problematic this is, BUT....

My plan is to split all my varietals 1/2 cheaper 1/2 premium all in the same batch. So 4 lugs of Sangiovese will be 2 and 2. And cab Sav 1 and 1 and Merlot 1 and 1. Again, not sure if this is a 'faux pas' or not, but it's my wine so I'll do what I want!

Kits or fresh - the advice is the same. Buy the best you can affford. I bought the cab, Merlot and Petit Verdot from the Suisun valley for this year. Last year's Petite Sirah from there made me very happy.

Yes, I agree. I just would like some feedback that the suisun Valley fruit is noticeably better. I have been pretty happy with Lodi in previous years. Glad your PV is showing promise. Anybody else?

I don't have a basis to compare, but the fruit I've been getting from Suisun the last few years is excellent.

Well, I've made the plunge into all grapes this year, my 4th making wine. Got a great deal on a used crusher in great shape and a press. Can't wait. Probably going to go with 3 lugs of Zinfandel, 3 lugs of Barbera or Sangiovese and 120 lbs of Lake Erie Concord. Plus 6 gallons of Traminette juice.

Nothing here.

I think we're still 2-3 weeks for Suisun. Look @ the harvest dates on Musto's site, and add 5-7 days.

Edit: looks like this year, they're not just showing harvest dates, but actually listing what is on it's way East. So you can probably be within a day or two, Harford will have the same stuff. Seems like Lodi will start to trickle in this weekend.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back