My plan for 2017 wine from California grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the counters are working, at least. I just made my order and the "Left in Stock" numbers changed.

Just picked up three more 6-gal glass carboys for this season. After I pick up my 32 gallon brute container, I will be officially "ready" for grapes.

I have not changed my mind as to what grapes I'm getting. But, sure as I'm sitting here, Harford just added a tab for WASHINGTON State grapes. Three varietals - Cab Sauv, Merlot and Pinot Noir.

https://harfordvineyard.com/washington-state-grape/

Last edited:
Thanks for the PM, Craig!! For whatever reason, Harford's email notifications are unreliable.

I ordered:
(1) California Chenin Blanc juice
(1) California Petite Syrah juice
(1) Lug Central Valley Petite Syrah grapes
(1) California Sauvignon Blanc juice
(1) California Zinfandel juice
(1) Lug Central Valley Old Vine Zinfandel grapes
(4) Lugs Washington Rattlesnake Hill Pinot Noir grapes

It will be my first time making Petite Syrah - I plan to BM4x4 as the yeast.

Just picked up another 32 gal Brute fermenter. Right now leaning towards:

3 Lugs - Old Vine Carignane
3 Lugs - Cab (Lodi, Mukelumne River Greek Garden)
3 Lugs - Syrah (Lodi)

I might change up the Cab to Paso Robles but we will see.

-Josh

Thanks for the PM, Craig!! For whatever reason, Harford's email notifications are unreliable.

I ordered:
(1) California Chenin Blanc juice
(1) California Petite Syrah juice
(1) Lug Central Valley Petite Syrah grapes
(1) California Sauvignon Blanc juice
(1) California Zinfandel juice
(1) Lug Central Valley Old Vine Zinfandel grapes
(4) Lugs Washington Rattlesnake Hill Pinot Noir grapes

It will be my first time making Petite Syrah - I plan to BM4x4 as the yeast.

No Traminette? :i

Twiddling my fingers waiting... saw this on Musto's website and thought I'd share:

2017 Harvest Outlook for Suisun Valley, Lodi, and Central Valley
Published August 9, 2017 | By cmusto
Suisun Valley Harvest Outlook

Everything is maturing along in Suisun Valley. We are seeing verasion come to end in varieties such as Merlot and Sangiovese. Petite Sirah, Cabernet 169, and later varieties are still going through the verasion process. Looking at the maturity level of the grapes harvest should start around September 4th in Suisun Valley – beginning with Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay. The next varieties to pick will most likely be Merlot around September 10th and, Sangiovese, and Malbec around September 16th. The later varieties such as Petite Sirah and Cabernet 169 should harvest around late September/early October.

Lodi Harvest Outlook

Overall the Lodi crop looks great. The rain helped strengthen the deep roots this winter, which allowed the vines to grow a vigorous canopy. The big canopies from the record rain fall has protected the grapes from the summer heat. Therefore, it should be an average to slightly below average crop this year. Most varieties look normal, however Cabernet and Zinfandel look to be low slightly lighter than last year. The Lodi appellation is made up of mostly sandy loam soil and unlike the Central Valley they get constant cooler temps in the evenings. This area experiences 40 degree swings in temps that help with coloring the grapes and the skins are thicker which produce a dark juice high in tannins. This is why the region is famous for its delicious Zinfandels and Italian grapes.

Central Valley Harvest Outlook

With the extra rain fall Central Valley is looking to be a great harvest. The crop looks to be about the same as last year and we should be harvesting about 4-6 days later than last year. We anticipate some of the Central Valley fruit to start shipping to the East Coast around August 28th. Get your crushers ready!!

Twiddling my fingers waiting... saw this on Musto's website and thought I'd share:

2017 Harvest Outlook for Suisun Valley, Lodi, and Central Valley
Published August 9, 2017 | By cmusto
Suisun Valley Harvest Outlook

Everything is maturing along in Suisun Valley. We are seeing verasion come to end in varieties such as Merlot and Sangiovese. Petite Sirah, Cabernet 169, and later varieties are still going through the verasion process. Looking at the maturity level of the grapes harvest should start around September 4th in Suisun Valley – beginning with Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay. The next varieties to pick will most likely be Merlot around September 10th and, Sangiovese, and Malbec around September 16th. The later varieties such as Petite Sirah and Cabernet 169 should harvest around late September/early October.

Lodi Harvest Outlook

Overall the Lodi crop looks great. The rain helped strengthen the deep roots this winter, which allowed the vines to grow a vigorous canopy. The big canopies from the record rain fall has protected the grapes from the summer heat. Therefore, it should be an average to slightly below average crop this year. Most varieties look normal, however Cabernet and Zinfandel look to be low slightly lighter than last year. The Lodi appellation is made up of mostly sandy loam soil and unlike the Central Valley they get constant cooler temps in the evenings. This area experiences 40 degree swings in temps that help with coloring the grapes and the skins are thicker which produce a dark juice high in tannins. This is why the region is famous for its delicious Zinfandels and Italian grapes.

Central Valley Harvest Outlook

With the extra rain fall Central Valley is looking to be a great harvest. The crop looks to be about the same as last year and we should be harvesting about 4-6 days later than last year. We anticipate some of the Central Valley fruit to start shipping to the East Coast around August 28th. Get your crushers ready!!

Latest posts

Back