My plan for 2017 wine from California grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this MLF really that important? I don’t remember the tasting status of the 3 wines, but are you thinking it’s essential for them? And how to even know if the cab’s issue will be resolved with MLf ?
Before I got into this forum I made juice pails always w/o any MLf, or any other adjustments for that matter. The ones that actually got some age on them drank great. I realize it can benefit mostly all reds. But isn’t it true that you can still make a really great wine that hasn’t gone thru MLf ?

Is this MLF really that important? I don’t remember the tasting status of the 3 wines, but are you thinking it’s essential for them? And how to even know if the cab’s issue will be resolved with MLf ?
Before I got into this forum I made juice pails always w/o any MLf, or any other adjustments for that matter. The ones that actually got some age on them drank great. I realize it can benefit mostly all reds. But isn’t it true that you can still make a really great wine that hasn’t gone thru MLf ?

All great questions. The only think I can say is, I think so. It's important to me, to the point of being essential (and if it doesn't actually happen, I'll be disappointed). In my mind: bought premium grapes to make a premium wine and MLF is essential to a premium wine. The PV took it's MLF without issue and is on a par with where I think it should be at this stage of the game. The malic acid in the Merlot seems to have decreased and it tastes pretty good - a full MLF should push that back up to par. The Cabs have refused 3 attempts for an MLF and there's still a sour to them. I might be hypersensitive or this might all be in my head, I know. But, that's just who/what I am...

So, last night I took 1g of the MLB and dropped that in my 2018 wine. The rest of the MLB was divided among the three amigos. Primed with Acri-ML and inoculated late last night, the dropped Opti-Malo today.

Now we wait.... again.

So, last night I took 1g of the MLB and dropped that in my 2018 wine. The rest of the MLB was divided among the three amigos. Primed with Acri-ML and inoculated late last night, the dropped Opti-Malo today.

Now we wait.... again.

I'll offer this anecdote, not advice. At the wine club I belong to, last month we had a member bring in two bottles from the same vintage. He purchased the liquid mlb that treats 6 gallons and he had nine gallons of wine. So we had a taste of off two wines, one went through mlf, the other did not. While there was a distinct difference between the two, it was almost tied between who liked which better. And I was torn. So maybe we put to much into doing the mlf, who knows. Both tasted pretty good.

Well you can't say you didn't try. How are they tasting?

I didn’t taste them. Instead, I racked, dosed, waited a day and hit each of the wines with tannin (mostly 2g of tannin riche extra, but I hit one with 3g of a mix of tannin riche extra and FT Rouge). I’m going to let them alone till after the new year. Then, do some trials, blend and bottle in the spring.

Interesting. I hit one of the cabs with some clarifier. A good bit of fine lees has dropped in just a few hours. I’m going to take a day or two, then rack it again.

The other Cab (no clarifier) is only showing a little bit of lees at the bottom. Maybe I hit that one too.

Latest posts

Back