My plan for 2017 wine from California grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fred, We too were “ lazy/intimidated “ with our Vin 300! I made some easy to read cheat sheets sealed in plastic binders for the 3 tests. Now we do a bunch, sometimes 10-12 wines at the same time. After the 2nd test it’s a piece of cake. Roy

Fred, We too were “ lazy/intimidated “ with our Vin 300! I made some easy to read cheat sheets sealed in plastic binders for the 3 tests. Now we do a bunch, sometimes 10-12 wines at the same time. After the 2nd test it’s a piece of cake. Roy

I have a cheat sheet myself just have to add the total SO2 test to it.

Just got my Cabernet Sauvignon grapes and juice(helped with the picking) from 20+ year old Texas hill country vines. Optical measure of sugar is 25.8 Brix, Ph is 3.6 and Sp Grav. 1.101. Juice with grapes some stems, etc. in the primary fermenter with water lock and pitched pre-hydrated 1118 yeast last night. Will let it sit for a week or two, but keep track of the fermentation every few days. Then MLF and some racking before putting it into a 20 liter French oak barrel for a few years. Should be a fun experiment.

The PV (which went through MLF no problem) and Merlot taste fine. I haven’t tasted the Cab lately. Next time I’m down in the cellar, we’ll give it a ride. Craig insists that they just taste like young wines. Time will tell.

I’ve been contemplating bottling in a year and possibly NOT doing a blend of any sort. That way, if the Cab never turns the corner, it gives the two others a better chance of shining.

The PV (which went through MLF no problem) and Merlot taste fine. I haven’t tasted the Cab lately. Next time I’m down in the cellar, we’ll give it a ride. Craig insists that they just taste like young wines. Time will tell.

I’ve been contemplating bottling in a year and possibly NOT doing a blend of any sort. That way, if the Cab never turns the corner, it gives the two others a better chance of shining.

Since you're not sure I think that is a great plan.

If you can get one, a 6 month ride in a neutral barrel would go pretty far in helping the wine mellow and smooth out before bottling.

If you can get one, a 6 month ride in a neutral barrel would go pretty far in helping the wine mellow and smooth out before bottling.

Great thought but probably not an option. They don't sell neutral barrels (that I know of, anyway)) and I don't know anyone within driving distance with one. Will keep my eyes open.

I heard back from the wine lady at the Penn State Extension Center... she suggested hitting it again and following the morewine guidance for difficult MLF's (looked and didn't see this one). I would imagine that the three amigos are at about ZERO SO2 right now. And, in about two weeks I will be using a CH16 to do a co-inoculation. Since it should be enough for 66 gallons and there will likely only be about 14 gallons of OV Zin, what if I took half for the OVZ and split the other half three ways among the amigos?

I heard back from the wine lady at the Penn State Extension Center... she suggested hitting it again and following the morewine guidance for difficult MLF's (looked and didn't see this one). I would imagine that the three amigos are at about ZERO SO2 right now. And, in about two weeks I will be using a CH16 to do a co-inoculation. Since it should be enough for 66 gallons and there will likely only be about 14 gallons of OV Zin, what if I took half for the OVZ and split the other half three ways among the amigos?

The last several times I have ordered MLB, VP41 and CH16 I split the contents of each package into four equal portions. Use one each in 10-15 gallon batches. All have gone through MLF fine.

Go for it.

What have you got to lose?? Might as well go for try number ??? oh I lost count. :):)

I tasted the Cab last weekend. It's not as sour, but the sour is still there. Hoping for a successful MLF with #4.

I figure I'll get the 2018 grapes home on Saturday, hit them with some SO2, wait 24 or so hours to kick the must off with an AF. The MLF co-inoculation would be 48 hours after that. So, I should be kicking off the fourth attempt at an MLF on Monday or Tuesday night.

Latest posts

Back