My plan for 2017 wine from California grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey I have an idea, do you usual ferment(I personally like hot ferments), then press as usual. Then, "borrow" a tactic from the kit wine guys and do an Extended Maceration on the skins for 6 to 8 weeks. I was gonna try it on my Chileans this year-but I wimped out.

Was this CH16? I just ordered some for the Australian juice buckets coming in this week. No vp41 available. All four of my batches with vp41 this spring were showing completion of MLF at 60 days.
I pretty sure it was for mine (Cab 3). I think Jim has used multiple ones on his Cab (Cab1 & 2) and Merlot. I'm going to save some slurry from mine to give to him. I had also saved some of the MLB in the fridge since I was only doing one small 6 gallon batch, but of course forgot to drop it off when I visited for the samples yesterday. Sometimes I act like I'm getting old in the brain.

Yep. The first three are mine and show only minimal progress. Once again, a disappointment - thought the 3rd time would be a charm. Looks like maybe four will do it. After that, I think I'm done.

I've been very happy with the two co-inoculations I've done. Don't think I'm ever going back.

Bahh humbug!!! I'll stay on the light side of ferment, press, rack in a few days, add the mlb at that time, sure it might then take three or four months after that to finish, but with good mlb, good nutrition, good sanitation and generally not adding any SO2 up-front it works for me.

I'm just a Luddite.

Bahh humbug!!! I'll stay on the light side of ferment, press, rack in a few days, add the mlb at that time, sure it might then take three or four months after that to finish, but with good mlb, good nutrition, good sanitation and generally not adding any SO2 up-front it works for me.

I'm just a Luddite.

IMG_4111.jpg

I'm just a Luddite.

Call me one as well, although it's proven to work effectively and I can personally attest.

Call me one as well, although it's proven to work effectively and I can personally attest.

I know, it has worked so well for me for the past 7 years, that I am very hesitant to change it. Also, I use my trash can fermenters for things other than just grapes and I worry about having MLF bacteria in things I don't want to have MLF. As a side note, I have designated glass/plastic carboys that only get things that have had MLB inoculated.

Latest posts

Back