My "PEE" is fermenting!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made multiple batches last year. It was a hit with who ever we shared it with. I always used a starter with this. Did not use slurry. First, whip it up a lot the day before pitching the starter in it. and whip it a lot more just before introducing starter. Second, keep it warm. 75-80 degrees and my target is just below 80. this is so popular it has it's own website. It's a fun one to make. Good Luck

http://www.skeeterpee.com :tz

Put the last of the energizer, nutrient and bottle of lemon in tonight. It's boiling away. I have two bottles left of my last batch I don't think I will be able to hang onto those bottles until this batch is done. :(

Put the last of the energizer, nutrient and bottle of lemon in tonight. It's boiling away. I have two bottles left of my last batch I don't think I will be able to hang onto those bottles until this batch is done. :(

Whats all the yeast energizer about... I've just used nutrient and been fine

This sounds really interesting. I may have to try this, however I don't have anything fermenting now except the Green Apple Reisling from a kit. How much of a slurry do you need? I'll be heading to costco tonight probably, was thinking of getting ingredients for another mead with berries. I could use that slurry I guess.

a vigorous starter works too... so what you ever like .... a slurry if you have it or a starter if U don't:ib

a vigorous starter works too... so what you ever like .... a slurry if you have it or a starter if U don't:ib

I noticed in the other post that you use a starter, care to elaborate on your starter mix for the newbies here? I'm heading to Costco tonight, whoo hooo...

this is how I do it...
1. Clean and sterile a quart jar
2. 4-8 oz of warm water. use a thermometer and pitch at 90 degrees or so
3. 1 tsp sugar and add a pinch of nutrient (stir)
4. pitch yeast and cover with towel
5. let stand undisturbed for 15-30 min
6. you should see good action by now
7. stir gently -- it's a new baby yeast
8. let stand 15-30 min
9. introduce the must to the yeast starter by adding no more than 1/2 the volume you have the yeast in ( if U have 8 oz. add 4 oz now)
10. let stand 30 min
11. add 1/2 the volume again ( so now 6 oz)
12 recover with towel each time
13 after a few hours U will have at least 1 quart of a vigorous starter.
14. very important to have a warm must ( I try for 75-80 degrees, probably closer to 80) so to not have the difference of the starter temp and the must temp to be not further than 10 degrees difference to shock the yeast

Good luck:try

Last edited:
this is how I do it...
1. Clean and sterile a quart jar
2. 4-8 oz of warm water. use a thermometer and pitch at 90 degrees or so
3. add a pinch of nutrient (stir)
4. pitch yeast and cover with towel
5. let stand undisturbed for 15-30 min
6. you should see good action by now
7. stir gently -- it's a new baby yeast
8. let stand 15-30 min
9. introduce the must to the yeast starter by adding no more than 1/2 the volume you have the yeast in ( if U have 8 oz. add 4 oz now)
10. let stand 30 min
11. add 1/2 the volume again ( so now 6 oz)
12 recover with towel each time
13 after a few hours U will have at least 1 quart of a vigorous starter.
14. very important to have a warm must ( I try for 75-80 degrees, probably closer to 80) so to not have the difference of the starter temp and the must temp to be not further than 10 degrees difference to shock the yeast

Good luck:try

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be using my brew belt that I recently purchased to keep the temp up on this.

tip -- as I make this starter I have the drill mix-stir in the must and whip it for a couple of minutes each 1/2 hour when I am checking on the yeast.

You have 2 things in this that are against you for a successful start...

1. preservatives in the realemon -- more whipping and stirring is better
2. harsh acid environment of lemon -- slow introduction to yeast

After adding this starter to the must, I normally see action in the primary within 24 hours.

keep the must warm in primary and secondary and U should have no problems

I have used various yeasts for this, but 1118 is a good one. You need a strong fermenter. Start with Lalvin 1118 and play with others down the road if U like when U have the other bases covered:b

Get a 3 ring notebook. Keep track of each batch U make.
Document everything U do
time- temp- etc
after a few months your notebook will help U with what works and what does not
remember to have fun:try

Just 1 more thing -- then I'm done.... I promise ;)

I take the yeast pkg out of the refrigerator the day before pitching.. less temp shock :sh

correction to my directions...

#3 1 tsp sugar

sorry for the omission:slp

Salute the PEE

Well, I finally finished/bottled the pee! I used a slurry from a blackberry wine so the pee actually looks like a pink lemonade.

I followed the original recipe except I used five cups of sugar as opposed to six (to back sweeten)

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/album.php?albumid=115

Tastes pretty good....hint of blackberry followed by a nice lemon flavor.

All in all.....good project

I don't see it lasting very long

Last edited:
I love the pee. To many threads about it going on to keep track of all of them. But yeast wise, 1118, or champagne yeast.

I do not use the slurry. My personal choice. I go with a strong starter.

I like to toss a can or two of my favorite frozen juice concentrate into the original must, and it seems to me for backsweetening, instead of simple syrup, some reduced frozen concentrate should work pretty good.

I am glad to see everyone who is enjoying the pee, it is a great wine, easy, versiatle and tasty. I would love to see what this would be like with some bubbles in it.

Serve super cold.

Troy

Latest posts

Back