My "PEE" is fermenting!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAwinedude

Seed Separator
Reaction score
Well, I walked the plank this weekend and started my first batch of skeeter pee! I used the original recipe from the creators web site and I used the yeast slurry from a blackberry wine....

Day 1 (Sat) Followed orignial recipe to a tee. Incorporated lemon juice, yeast nutrient, yeast starter, tannin and water to 5.5 gallons. Added brew belt and let it set for approx 24 hours. Stirred vigourously for several minutes... Initial S.G. was 1.062

Day 2 (Sun) Approx 24 hours later.....stirred vigorously for approx 3 minutes and then added blackberry yeast slurry and stirred more.

Day 3 (Mon) this morning....fermentation has started all ready...Tommorrow, I will add the final bottle of lemom juice and approx three more tsp of nutrient and ferment to dry.....

I am looking forward to this one....will keep you posted

Cool, I have a batch that I started high, 1.100, and it is down to 1.030, so its heading for the better bottle in a day or so. It is important to add the remaining juice, and additional energizer and nutrient at 1.050. Theres a good reason for this.

It's a great recipe Dude, this is my second batch. Comes out pretty tart and for sure wants back sweetening. I am going to try using an undiluted frozen concentrate. Hoping to find raspberry. I may even use frozen raspberries themselves.

Good luck with this one, you won't be dissappointed. The trick is to get it, and keep it fermenting. It likes to be stirred peiodically.

Bunch of people have made this in here and all love it.

Just pitched a blueberry must that I want to use the slurry for skeeter pee as well! Been dreaming of the combo for a while just got all the stuff together for it. :)

Update!!!

I racked the pee this weekend......the blackberry lees have created a pink lemonade appearance but initial tastes are pretty good so far...

Here are some notes that worked for me.....

I followed the original recipe with the following exceptions...

-i stirred the must daily
-i used the brew belt for the entire primary fermentation
-i added additional water and lemon juice to reach 6 gallons
-i used superkleer instead of sparkaloid

Upon transfer to secondary, i used a 5 gallon better bottle...Unfortunately, there was not enough liquid for a 6 gallon carboy, but too much for a 5 gallon.

will keep you posted

after you siphon off your wine from the primary, left in the bottom should be a sludge of must and dead yeast cells. With in that sludge is lot of alive and kicking yeast and that what starts the next batch.

So is this "Skeeter Pee" a kind of kilju?

No Leanne,

Skeeter Pee is made using a yeast slurry and lemon concentrate. It is quite good, I have made SP using a blackberry slurry and elderberry slurry. I am currently waiting for an empty carboy to start another SP using a pear slurry.

Go to www.skeeterpee.com for the recipe.

Can you use a yeast slurry from anything? I really want to make a blackberry or blueberry skeeter pee, but neither are in season and i'm itching to make some pee!

Can I use a slurry from mead... or will that even have much of a slurry?

Can you use a yeast slurry from anything? I really want to make a blackberry or blueberry skeeter pee, but neither are in season and i'm itching to make some pee!

I think a slurry from a mead would be quite tasty. Please post how it comes out. Also, you can always make a gallon jug of a jam/jelly wine and use that slurry.

I just started a blueberry skeeter pee using a bag of frozen blueberries from costco --organic even like 9$ always in season.

I'm looking to start at batch of this. Did anyone add sulfite BEFORE fermentation? I didn't see it on the website but it makes sense as the lemon juice seems to have some in it already.

:dg
I'm looking to start at batch of this. Did anyone add sulfite BEFORE fermentation? I didn't see it on the website but it makes sense as the lemon juice seems to have some in it already.

Hi Skiboarder72,

You are correct the lemon juice already has sulfites you do not need to add anymore. You really need to start a batch, you are going to love this. As I am typing I am starting another batch with a pear slurry.

:dg

Hi Skiboarder72,

You are correct the lemon juice already has sulfites you do not need to add anymore. You really need to start a batch, you are going to love this. As I am typing I am starting another batch with a pear slurry.

I'm so excited! I'm going to be starting it off strawberry slurry tomorrow. I'll start a new thread for it. At less than 10$ per 6 gallons this will be amazing if it works!

Well, you've all talked me into it. I'm going to have to give this stuff a go.

I started another one last night using a Pear slurry. I am very interested in seeing how or if this will work. I have had the slurry in the frig since October.

poured in the bottom leftovers from some strawberry wine tonight... hopefully this works!

Here are some photos from my recent skeeter pee adventure

20100307_wine_making_0032.jpg

20100307_wine_making_0033.jpg

20100307_wine_making_0034.jpg

Note to self: Put water in first, then add sugar

20100307_wine_making_0035.jpg

After good degassing

20100307_wine_making_0036.jpg

Off to rest

Latest posts

Back