My newest project “car”

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope to finish up the hood this weekend (along with vineyard pruning) and figure out how to do the dash. Because I kept the original center steering from the riding mower for now, I decided to do a bench seat. I was going to fabricate a seat, but found this one new with dimensions that work. It will be delivered in a few weeks.

jeep seet.jpg
Left to do:
- finish hood
- make gas tank cover / dash
- fabricate seat mounts and install seat
- grandkid grab/catch railing next to seat
- seatbelts?
- make front bumper
- make windscreen?
- install front and rear lights
- final gluing/fasteners/bracing
- sanding and bondo where needed
- paint / letter

I hope to finish up the hood this weekend (along with vineyard pruning) and figure out how to do the dash. Because I kept the original center steering from the riding mower for now, I decided to do a bench seat. I was going to fabricate a seat, but found this one new with dimensions that work. It will be delivered in a few weeks.

View attachment 83037
Left to do:
- finish hood
- make gas tank cover / dash
- fabricate seat mounts and install seat
- grandkid grab/catch railing next to seat
- seatbelts?
- make front bumper
- make windscreen?
- install front and rear lights
- final gluing/fasteners/brac
- sanding and bondo where needed
- paint / letter
That seat looks remarkably similar to the rear seat of a jeep. I understand that you will use it for the driver. These might help you after you apply the OD.

Amazon.com: Military Star Stencil Template for Walls and Crafts - Reusable Stencils for Painting in Small & Large Sizes
Amazon.com : Attisstore Painting Stencil Set, 1 inch Plastic Letters and Numbers Interlocking Stencil Kit 138 Pieces, Black : Arts, Crafts & Sewing (not sure if you would need 3- or 4-inch letters.

Great work on your project!

That seat looks remarkably similar to the rear seat of a jeep. I understand that you will use it for the driver. These might help you after you apply the OD.

Amazon.com: Military Star Stencil Template for Walls and Crafts - Reusable Stencils for Painting in Small & Large Sizes
Amazon.com : Attisstore Painting Stencil Set, 1 inch Plastic Letters and Numbers Interlocking Stencil Kit 138 Pieces, Black : Arts, Crafts & Sewing (not sure if you would need 3- or 4-inch letters.

Great work on your project!
The Mrs has a Cricut, which can cut vinyl, so I’ll make my own custom stencils for a few dollars of material, when the time is right.

I did see the Palomino and would have rather restored one of those than build one. I love old stuff.
What I don’t know is how my fir plywood glued/screwed body will hold up over time.

I did see the Palomino and would have rather restored one of those than build one. I love old stuff.
What I don’t know is how my fir plywood glued/screwed body will hold up over time.

Restoring a Palomino is spendy. Even partial ones go for $3K. I think you'll have something unique with what you are doing. Everybody I've shown the pic to likes it. BTW, on the hood curves, you might want to use some fiberglass mat and resin over those first, then Bondo. Pure Bondo will crack on any of your seams with vibration and time. Might consider embed-screening any cracks and then a Bondo topcoat.

If another wood model were used as a form, you could crank out fiberglass bodies! :D

Restoring a Palomino is spendy. Even partial ones go for $3K. I think you'll have something unique with what you are doing. Everybody I've shown the pic to likes it. BTW, on the hood curves, you might want to use some fiberglass mat and resin over those first, then Bondo. Pure Bondo will crack on any of your seams with vibration and time. Might consider embed-screening any cracks and then a Bondo topcoat.

If another wood model were used as a form, you could crank out fiberglass bodies! :D
My plan is to sand the round part of the hood and get it really close prior to any bondo. It should be a minimal layer to fill little imprefections. I have a feeling this thing will see some tough duty, so mostly concerned about not ripping a fender off when it get's snagged on a bush or grape vine or the body cracking in half when going off a bump.
The Mrs asked how it was coming along. I said good, but decided to spend some $ on the seat. She asked how much and I told her as much as the entire mower ($200). It should be here by Friday and I think it will be $ well spent.

My plan is to sand the round part of the hood and get it really close prior to any bondo. It should be a minimal layer to fill little imprefections. I have a feeling this thing will see some tough duty, so mostly concerned about not ripping a fender off when it get's snagged on a bush or grape vine or the body cracking in half when going off a bump.
The Mrs asked how it was coming along. I said good, but decided to spend some $ on the seat. She asked how much and I told her as much as the entire mower ($200). It should be here by Friday and I think it will be $ well spent.

Just saying from my experience that if there is not a plastic mesh under it, the Bondo will eventually crack at all the seams. You know, if you are concerned the wood might not hold up to rugged use, you could use fiberglass resin to coat it. It will sink in and make the wood much stronger. The seat is absolutely perfect. Well worth it. I had friends asking, "How did he afford the plywood?" 🤪

Just saying from my experience that if there is not a plastic mesh under it, the Bondo will eventually crack at all the seams. You know, if you are concerned the wood might not hold up to rugged use, you could use fiberglass resin to coat it. It will sink in and make the wood much stronger. The seat is absolutely perfect. Well worth it. I had friends asking, "How did he afford the plywood?" 🤪

Got it, thanks. I'll probably buy the body filler with some fiber in it. I've been tracking my expenses. I should be getting close to the end of purchases. I'll need paint and probably already have the metal for the bumper, seat bracket and railing.

spent to date.jpg

Got it, thanks. I'll probably buy the body filler with some fiber in it. I've been tracking my expenses. I should be getting close to the end of purchases. I'll need paint and probably already have the metal for the bumper, seat bracket and railing.

View attachment 83202

Fiber will help a lot. And it's a better filler overall, too. A bit harder. A discontinued kit a friend brought up... he says they still sell plans...

https://struckcorp.com/struck-discontinues-mini-beep-mba80/

Got the dash roughed out, retaining all the mower controls and complete with cup holder :) Figuring out seat position, height and how to keep grandkids from rolling out.
View attachment 83391
Is that a battery access under the seat? It appears that you have the seat propped up on 2 each 2x4s or 3" off the deck. Is there a way to hinge the seat so that it tipped forward to allow access to the battery? If that is possible, perhaps you could rig some side and rear restraints from 3/4" EMT conduit and mount it on either the deck or the sides. Formed into a "U" shape, it could wrap around the rear of the jeep and keep the kids safer. It would simulate the jeep's canvas cover framework in the folded position (see picture in response #40, above).

I got the seat stands and grandkid keeper bar fabricated and tacked in place. Need to add one more bar in the back, do some welding and paint. The railing will be bolted in, right now it’s being held in with screws, to hold it in place. Next I’ll tackle the front bumper.
Hey @NorCal - looking at the last picture and the bolt pattern (or lack thereof) on the rear wheel, torque is going to be a problem. If you don't mind satisfying (our) curiosity, how exactly are the rear wheels attached to the axle and drivetrain? Or, is it FWD?

Hey @NorCal - looking at the last picture and the bolt pattern (or lack thereof) on the rear wheel, torque is going to be a problem. If you don't mind satisfying (our) curiosity, how exactly are the rear wheels attached to the axle and drivetrain? Or, is it FWD?

Usually, the wheel and axle are splined in that type of setup. Let's see what he says.

Back