My newest project “car”

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You both (@jswordy and @Rocky) hit it on the head. That instep before the fender is an element that I‘m missing. Unfortunately the pedals inhibit getting that offset. It is a compromise that I’m going to have to make. I did cut an inch and a half off the front and increased the size of the grill, which I think gets the look closer.

Next, I’m going to rough out the hood, which should tell me if the look is enough to proceed.

8300B18B-1E9F-4A8A-B5E5-50A66283870A.jpeg

@NorCal, That is a great project and I am enjoying your progression reports. I was wondering what you have planned for the hood. Maybe fiberglass over a wood and screen frame? Also, I don't know how crazy you want to go in accessorizing the jeep, but I found these items on Amazon:

Amazon.com: REML My Cave,My Rules,Jar Bar Set,Wine Box Wine Glass Storage,Home Bar Cabinet Decor,Gifts for Military Fans,Mini Jerrycan Bar (Green) : Home & Kitchen
Amazon.com: Cold Steel Trail Boss Axe, 27 Inch : Everything Else
Amazon.com: Bellota 5526 - Multipurpose shovel : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I haven’t had a lot of time to work on it, but got the body braced with 1 inch tubing welded to the frame and roughed out the hood. My plan is to find a good sandable putty that I can use to smooth out the body and fill in gaps, prior to painting.
View attachment 82913
Outstanding work! Do you plan to add the parking lights? Will there be a bumper with a unit ID on it?

When you run out of things to do (😉), here is your next project:

1641258097389.png

Attachments

• 1641258037103.png
    1641258037103.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Outstanding work! Do you plan to add the parking lights? Will there be a bumper with a unit ID on it?

When you run out of things to do (😉), here is your next project:

View attachment 82918
I found some $6 each eBay led 4 inch headlights and tail lights I’ll be ordering this week. I’ll be adding a bumper to help support the lower grill. I have a yard trailer that the owners left behind. A bit tattered, but it will be finished in Army Green and a perfect pull behind for the Jeep.

26C84DD8-31C7-40E8-B621-92CC08E0D4EB.jpeg

I haven’t had a lot of time to work on it, but got the body braced with 1 inch tubing welded to the frame and roughed out the hood. My plan is to find a good sandable putty that I can use to smooth out the body and fill in gaps, prior to painting.
View attachment 82913
Use Bondo to smooth it out. It works great with wood.

I found some $6 each eBay led 4 inch headlights and tail lights I’ll be ordering this week. I’ll be adding a bumper to help support the lower grill. I have a yard trailer that the owners left behind. A bit tattered, but it will be finished in Army Green and a perfect pull behind for the Jeep.

View attachment 82920
That will work fine. You might even try to fabricate some faux fenders over the wheels. If you do, don't forget the tire pressure notation on the fenders above the tires. (e.g., TP 25) Same over the tires on the jeep, one the front fenders and on the body over the rear tires.

If you are wondering why I have such a great interest in this, I had 3 jeeps and 3 1/4-ton trailers assigned to me when I was head of the FO Section of an artillery battery. We used to sleep in the trailers when the weather was really bad in Germany. As long as one was under 6 feet tall, it was very comfortable.

The .30 cal would be a nice touch, too.

1641309558275.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back