My new project car

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since winemaking involves a lot of staring at barrels while they age, I got the bug to pick up a project car. I’ve done mostly Ford, but I did a big Healey, TR6, Datsun Roadster, so my interest is somewhat eclectic. I buy cars that I like that are cheap, often neglected, but I see the potential. I keep a budget in mind and have always sold the cars for more than I have into them (excluding my time). I’ll do everything myself except for machine shop work and paint.

I like the period look, but take liberties on the other things for safety, reliability, cost or performance.

Any guesses on what this car is?

1F492C83-C8AE-4AB5-A058-21D2E5D22613.jpeg

I think you might have "nailed it" Paul. They seem to attract a certain following these days.

ebay963356.jpg

I'm going to guess that's a Sunbeam Tiger? Or an Alpine?

Great guess @sour_grapes.

It is a 1967 Alpine that had a Ford V6, 4 speed put into the car 20 years ago. A Tiger is an Alpine with the Ford 260 or 289 V8, so this car is somewhere in the middle. The hood is actually an aftermarket rare “LAT” (Los Angeles Tiger) piece,I’ll definitely be keeping it in the build.

I had never heard of the v6 alpine so I looked for information. I saw lots of v8s and a 4 but finally I found a v6. are they rare. Gonna be a nice ride.

Have fun with it, I wish I had the time and the space to do a restore. I'd really like to restore an old boat but that requires even more space not to mention I can't seem to be able to crawl around in the tight spaces required for some (most) mechanical repairs.

I had never heard of the v6 alpine so I looked for information. I saw lots of v8s and a 4 but finally I found a v6. are they rare. Gonna be a nice ride.
They were not made with the V6 from the factory, somebody did the swap many years ago. It fits well, without having to hack up the car.

Progress has been slow. My first objective is to get the car on the road, so I can figure out all that is wrong. I will then fix everything, then pull it apart and have it painted.
First order is working on items to make the car go and safe, fuel and brakes. The car has a lot more rust than I thought, so I’ve been doing patches. The interior has been stripped and the rust spot where the gas pedal attaches was the first rust spot addressed.
B1915102-51C2-4368-AA2A-F0944B2DF492.jpeg
I replaced the scary linkage that was there with this cable system, note the bracket.
D5EB345D-F4B4-4F9D-B852-3F07300F2AD4.jpeg

I’ve rebuilt the brake system, installing a tandem master cylinder, new wheel cylinders and rebuilding the pedal assembly. I’m waiting for a few parts so I can bleed. Not real exciting stuff, but 100’s of little activities that will add up to getting the car going. Thanks for asking.

Looks like that should be a fun project! It's always been a dream of mine to rebuild a car especially when the wine is bulk aging. If only I had the time and space, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

@jswordy , looks like a complete rebuild. I think you will have more in your big block motor than I'll have in my entire car. Very nice.

Thanks. It is a complete rebuild. Like you, I am doing it all except the machine shop work. Life gets in the way, though, and since it is a restomod, there are engineering hurdles. My latest "S**T!" moment came when I discovered I was sold a set of headers that will create heat troubles for me long term. They are too close to the clutch arm boot. Now they have to come out and a set of shorties that will work have to go in. And of course I eat the cost of the first set, pretty much. Sigh...

Before...

frombarn3-1-1.jpg

Please toss up some progress pix as you go! I'd love to follow the project. I always wanted to get a Nash Metropolitan and toss a Ford big block in it to make a sleeper. Since there are two other vehicles waiting behind this one, doubt I'll ever do it.

Since winemaking involves a lot of staring at barrels while they age, I got the bug to pick up a project car. I’ve done mostly Ford, but I did a big Healey, TR6, Datsun Roadster, so my interest is somewhat eclectic. I buy cars that I like that are cheap, often neglected, but I see the potential. I keep a budget in mind and have always sold the cars for more than I have into them (excluding my time). I’ll do everything myself except for machine shop work and paint.

I like the period look, but take liberties on the other things for safety, reliability, cost or performance.

Any guesses on what this car is?

View attachment 54067

Do you have a shop manual for it?

The V6 will make a better choice for handling reasons. Tigers tend to 'nose dip' when cornering, so a few extra pounds off the front end should improve that. I had a 66 Alpine Lemans that I loved (I scanned from a photo I had).
Very nice! What makes it a “Le Mans” ? I’m not familiar with the marquee. I do not have a manual.

Good question. I didn't know it was until a fellow in PA (he was know as Tiger Tom) told me. I was having problems with timing to start with, plus the carbs (2 - 2 barrel Stromberg down draft types) didn't match any thing in the books. I ended up timing it and setting the idle with a vacuum gauge. And the gear ratios where all wrong. A friend (who had 2 Sunbeams) recommended I call the fellow in PA. I called him to see what info I could get. After I gave him the serial number, he offered to buy it. The car was configured for Autocross (I call it parking lot racing). So it a different transmission, more HP, and better suspension for cornering. Handling was unreal as you needed you belt on to keep you in the seat. Plus I could get rubber in the first 3 gears, so it had very good acceleration. I could go on, but I won't. Let me check to see what I have in the way of a shop manual.

Latest posts

Back