My New DIY Wine Cellar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very Very nice but I am not sure of all how much sleep I would get in there if I was to stay iw would be more like passed out.. Awesome racks..

so where do we sign up for our reservation nice job on the racks

Those racks turned out really well! Can't wait until I can actually have a wine stash without everyone drinking me out of it!

That looks really nice skiboarder72. You did a great job on it.

Best thing of all....He thinks this is all he needs. Just wait. The addiction really kicks in and you'll have carboys all over the house:):)

That is really nice. Nicer than mine, I have concrete for a floor.

Good Job.

1500 is a good amount for most of us but some of us (Not naming names uh huh Tom) thats just not nearly enough!! hehehe I have rrom for around 1200 and have always exceeded that amount and have a few cases on the floor and just dont bottle the rest until there is room. Right now my rakcs have some room due to holiday giveaways so i need to do some bottling and in trun get start some more fermenting. I have carboys to start more but restrict myself from doing so just because of room.

Before getting layed up in November, I was working on a ladder rack. Now I think when I start working on it again, I'll flatten it out and make it horizontal. I don't think there will be a problem with changing it, except that I already have rungs on two sides of the first vertical. :b

my recomendation

I strongly urge you to do the following....

Scrap the idea of a bed!

Instead, get a flatscreen tv, a couple of cumfy leather chairs, and a barrel to serve as a table.

A wine cooler and a small fridge to hold hard meats and cheeses would also be cool.

In other words... say NO! to the wine cellar bedroom. say YES! to the wine cellar mancave!

Note: if you do go with my idea, might I also recomend a thumb print door lock?

I'm with JohnT then you can invite us all over to watch some football... :)

On a more serious note, do you (or anyone) have an estimate what the energy costs are for maintaining the environment? In Texas, cooling to <65F in the summer is many $100s.

On a more serious note, do you (or anyone) have an estimate what the energy costs are for maintaining the environment? In Texas, cooling to <65F in the summer is many $100s.

Sorry for the delay, wanted to wait until I got next months bill.

Doesn't look like it was a big extra cost at all. Actually it saved me a bit of money by taking the wine out of my main living areas I'm able to turn down everything during the day without risk to the wine! :b

I strongly urge you to do the following....

Scrap the idea of a bed!

Instead, get a flatscreen tv, a couple of cumfy leather chairs, and a barrel to serve as a table.

A wine cooler and a small fridge to hold hard meats and cheeses would also be cool.

In other words... say NO! to the wine cellar bedroom. say YES! to the wine cellar mancave!

Note: if you do go with my idea, might I also recomend a thumb print door lock?
Put in a Wall Bed/Murphy Bed and you can have both a guest room and a man cave. It looks like you're pretty hand with the woodworking tools, so let me suggest you check out Lori Wall Beds. You can purchase the plans for $27 and build a bed to match your racks. I've got one in my house and I think it'd be a good fit for your room. Lori Wall Beds

Update:

Got an A/C unit installed. It's a standard 6500btu window unit. The cellar was getting up above 70 on some of these warmer days we have been having. I installed the A/C unit and set an upper boundary of 68°F and I have the heater that kicks on when it drops below 65°F. The temperature and humidity are staying extremely constant now. Best of all, both units have systems where if the power kicks off, they will return to their original settings. No leaving for vacation and coming home to a 90°F wine cellar!

Now its time to really fill this thing! Planning to add another 65 bottles to it this weekend :D

Any new updates?

How much are you spending a year on electricity for HVAC?

I know I'm resurrecting this post from the dead but was wondering if anyone had an idea of what the builder used from IKEA?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back