My Mullberry wine stinks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the right amount which is very littel copper sulfate is safe but to much of something will kill you or make you very ill. Using the copper pipe or wire method will not harm you!!!!!!

As the title states the Mullberry is stinking pretty bad. It isn't so much a sulpher smell but it is bad. Not like any I have made to date. The taste is not so bad but I cant get past the smell.I used Montrachet yeast and didnt have energizer so I put 1/4 tsp extra nutrient in 3 different times during primary fermentation. It semed to help at the time but wore off quickly. I used Wade's recipe but for 4L. The Sg to start was 1.085 and now is .996 after 2 weeks in the secondary. I was thinking of splash racking it and adding Ascorbic acid to retard oxygenation. Any advise will be appreciated, Steve

Do you have an update and a synopsis of what solved the problem?

I have a jug of strawberry that smelled awefule out of the primary. After the first racking it seemed better, but I just racked again and it still stinks.

I aerated the bejeesus out of it after racking this time ... I guess I'll see what happens.

BTW, re: copper pipe ... I've lived in houses with copper plumbing most of my life and I haven't been poisened that I'm aware of!!!!

Bob there talking about copper reacting with other chemicals in wine. I'm sure we all realize fertilizer wouldn't harm you, but mix it with the right things and the whole ball game is changed!:D

I too, would like to know if this has been resolved.

Mad, we need an update!!:b

Troy

Bob there talking about copper reacting with other chemicals in wine. I'm sure we all realize fertilizer wouldn't harm you, but mix it with the right things and the whole ball game is changed!:D

I don't regularly mix fertilizer with food and drink. OTOH, I often mix water with food and drink that has traveled through and rested in copper pipe. ::

As far as poison goes the Copper sulfate that is used to fix a H2S problem in wine is very poisonous at the wrong dose so I never recommend using it just in case of a slip or momentary lapse of mind.

Ok
I used a copper pipe 3/8" by 2 foot long and stirred like crazy. I could not smell anything when it was in the wine but could when I removed it?? :a1I cleaned up 3 pennies and dropped them in the wine for a day or two and then removed them. :fsh After all my efforts it still had some stink left. Not nearly as bad as when it started out. I bottled it a couple weeks ago and will let it sit till spring. Here is hoping all the effort pays off I was really looking forward to drinking :d some of it.
Stinky Steve

Do you have an update and a synopsis of what solved the problem?

I have a jug of strawberry that smelled awefule out of the primary. After the first racking it seemed better, but I just racked again and it still stinks.

I aerated the bejeesus out of it after racking this time ... I guess I'll see what happens.

BTW, re: copper pipe ... I've lived in houses with copper plumbing most of my life and I haven't been poisened that I'm aware of!!!!

You may not of been piosoned but it looks like ya got bugs lol.:D

As the title states the Mullberry is stinking pretty bad. It isn't so much a sulpher smell but it is bad. Not like any I have made to date. The taste is not so bad but I cant get past the smell.I used Montrachet yeast and didnt have energizer so I put 1/4 tsp extra nutrient in 3 different times during primary fermentation. It semed to help at the time but wore off quickly. I used Wade's recipe but for 4L. The Sg to start was 1.085 and now is .996 after 2 weeks in the secondary. I was thinking of splash racking it and adding Ascorbic acid to retard oxygenation. Any advise will be appreciated, Steve
Don't give up on it. I made a watermelon wine last year and I thought I was going to puke when it came time to bottle. I almost threw 20 gallons down the drain, but decided to bottle it anyway. After a year, it melowed out and ain't half bad. I bet in another year it will be some pretty fine stuff. A similar thing happened with a batch of strawberry and pineapple. After a year, the pineapple is still nasty, but not as bad.

I forgot to mention that I used the 3/8" copper pipe as a racking cane when I bottled the wine. Thinking was that one more exposure to the copper and alot of surface area, since it was all going thru the small opening, would help. My plan is to open a bottle over the 4th :iband see what I have??
:rdo

:u
Well I did open a bottle and the smell was gone. Good flavor but not all that full bodied. A friend dropped off 9 lbs a couple weeks ago :dbso I started 2 gal with that. These were very ripe so maybe I will get better results. I used Red Pasture yeast this time so I had no stench.:r

Latest posts

Back