My mint wine turned red, when it started fermenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vala E

Junior
Reaction score
I am making two different types of mint wine.

A: My regular recipe that includes zest

B: New recipe, a bit different and includes tannin.

I guess this is the first time I am using Campden and I used them in both wines.

The B wine turned red as soon as is started fermenting, the fermentation in the A wine was stuck for a while, but that wine started to turn red as well as soon as it started to ferment.

One recipe suggests that you use green coloring, but of course red color is also good for Christmas

Does anybody have a clue what can be the cause of the red color?

I am making two different types of mint wine.

A: My regular recipe that includes zest

B: New recipe, a bit different and includes tannin.

I guess this is the first time I am using Campden and I used them in both wines.

The B wine turned red as soon as is started fermenting, the fermentation in the A wine was stuck for a while, but that wine started to turn red as well as soon as it started to ferment.

One recipe suggests that you use green coloring, but of course red color is also good for Christmas

Does anybody have a clue what can be the cause of the red color?
Not sure if this helps but when I clean my carboys with TSP it turns a navy blue. My best guess is it's a chemical reaction to something in the yeast. I would just serve it as it is, should make a cool conversation topic.

Thank you so much, but when the fermentation stopped, the color changed very quick and the wine started to look closer to normal. The wine is clearing very well now with normal color. I guess the reason may be that I still had the nylon bag with the mint leaves after the fermentation started. - However I don't think I will add the green color in to it ;)

Back