My Milk Wine project

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://brewery.org/brewery/cm3/recs/12_toc.html

I know there is some recipes in here for "KEFIR", which is milk wine. But this is a great site with alot of "unconventianal wine recipes. Look through the site. Let me see if I can find a link to the "bible", I have it, but let me see if it has an online refernece to this type of wine.

Okay, I found his link but it doesn't list that recipe. So, from his book, page 48, here is what is said.

KOUMISS-KEFIR RECIPE

2 qt commercial lactose free milk

2 lbs, cane sugar, or honey

2 qt water

1 pk cahampage yest(or any yeast for high alcohol)

"The lactose free milk has been enzyme modified to break the milk sugar down into easily digestible/fermentable sugars. It is noticeablly sweeter than conventional milk.

Dissolve the sugar in boiling water and let cool to room temp. , then add to milk and pitch yeast.

It is important to let the water cool so you don't scald the milk which alters its chemistry. It's best to use a fermentation lock from the start.

Ferment at room temp about 70F. After about a week your milk wine will seperate into three distict layers, a curd or cottage cheese on top, the fluid or whey, and on the bottom, a fine yogurt like layer.

It is now time to rack the wine by starianing it through a collander lined with cheesecloth to seperate the solids from the whey.

Put the liquid into a secondary fermentation vessel with a fermentation lock and proceed with fermentation, rack and bottle as with any other wine.

This process will yield about 1 quart per gallon of cottage cheese(curds) when you strain it. It is wholsome and good for you, but will hammer you into the ground like a tent peg because of it's hig alcohol content.

If you don't want to go on a cheese bender, rinse it and strain it through cheesecloth to remove the kick"

Not much info there but that is the recipe from the Bible.

The above info was copied without permission from, The Alaskan Bootleggers Bible, Leon W. Kania, Happy Mountain Publications, Copyright 2000 and 2007.

He lists his email as: [email protected]

I would never list anyones emails but he asked if you have any questions or comments to email him. Here is the link for his site.

http://www.happymountain.net/table of contents.html

Good Luck, keep us posted.

Troy

http://brewery.org/brewery/cm3/recs/12_toc.html

I know there is some recipes in here for "KEFIR", which is milk wine. But this is a great site with alot of "unconventianal wine recipes. Look through the site. Let me see if I can find a link to the "bible", I have it, but let me see if it has an online refernece to this type of wine.

Okay, I found his link but it doesn't list that recipe. So, from his book, page 48, here is what is said.

KOUMISS-KEFIR RECIPE

2 qt commercial lactose free milk

2 lbs, cane sugar, or honey

2 qt water

1 pk cahampage yest(or any yeast for high alcohol)

"The lactose free milk has been enzyme modified to break the milk sugar down into easily digestible/fermentable sugars. It is noticeablly sweeter than conventional milk.

Dissolve the sugar in boiling water and let cool to room temp. , then add to milk and pitch yeast.

It is important to let the water cool so you don't scald the milk which alters its chemistry. It's best to use a fermentation lock from the start.

Ferment at room temp about 70F. After about a week your milk wine will seperate into three distict layers, a curd or cottage cheese on top, the fluid or whey, and on the bottom, a fine yogurt like layer.

It is now time to rack the wine by starianing it through a collander lined with cheesecloth to seperate the solids from the whey.

Put the liquid into a secondary fermentation vessel with a fermentation lock and proceed with fermentation, rack and bottle as with any other wine.

This process will yield about 1 quart per gallon of cottage cheese(curds) when you strain it. It is wholsome and good for you, but will hammer you into the ground like a tent peg because of it's hig alcohol content.

If you don't want to go on a cheese bender, rinse it and strain it through cheesecloth to remove the kick"

Not much info there but that is the recipe from the Bible.

The above info was copied without permission from, The Alaskan Bootleggers Bible, Leon W. Kania, Happy Mountain Publications, Copyright 2000 and 2007.

He lists his email as: [email protected]

I would never list anyones emails but he asked if you have any questions or comments to email him. Here is the link for his site.

http://www.happymountain.net/table of contents.html

Good Luck, keep us posted.

Troy

Do you reckon i should go ahead and put it into a carboy and airlock it? or should i go ahead with my bucket? Its gona be kinda hard to get the curds outa of a carboy aint it?

I really don't know. As long as I have been in here I only recall one other post about this KEFIR, I just tried the search in here and couldn't locate it.

Try Googling milk wine or Kefir.

Most of us are probably just as confused as you.

But stand by, someone very well may have some other answers for you.

Congradulations on being so brave to have even tried this!!!!!LOL

Troy

I really don't know. As long as I have been in here I only recall one other post about this KEFIR, I just tried the search in here and couldn't locate it.

Try Googling milk wine or Kefir.

Most of us are probably just as confused as you.

But stand by, someone very well may have some other answers for you.

Congradulations on being so brave to have even tried this!!!!!LOL

Troy

Thanks lol, im gona go ahead and rack it off into 2 2and a half gallon carboys. might as well be on the safe side here/

Don't do it on my recommendation, because I already told you I don't have a clue.

We want to see it work for you.

It's fermenting right along though, huh?

Don't do it on my recommendation, because I already told you I don't have a clue.

We want to see it work for you.

It's fermenting right along though, huh?

Yup, happy as can bee lol. when i stirred up the cap you could hear the co2 being disturbed in it. im siphoning it into 2 sep "carboys" right now. and ill fit a fermentation lock on em as soon as i can. It has a very notable greenish hue to it lol. but nothing implies spoilage lol

ok, the carboys have been made, my 4 gallon i started with is now about 3 and some change now. i reckon all that cheese stuff on the top had a lota milk stuff in it.

Its going kinda slow now. but im hoping it will speed up once i get it warm\

2qu7sb8.jpg

Ok. ive brought the milk wine into my closet now. Its much warmer up here and im relieved to see that they have both picked back up. Its not exactly speedy gonzolas but it is def ferminting and there is no sign of spoilage so im happy. Also a new layer of cheese is beginning to form on the top of the must

4/15/10 update... They seem to be ferminting right along, perhaps a little slow. A layer of cheese like curds is forming on the surface again... when shaken it gets pissed off and bubbles angrily. no signs of spoilage. smells strongly of alcohol but still taste sweet so far.

So am i the only one guilty of juryrigging every kind of large food grade container i can find into carboys?

I was interested in those water containers you posted. Looks like Poland Spring?

I'd only be concerned that the amount of surface space at the top would/could cause more oxidation than a small necked regular carboy.

But Hey, if it works, plus it's got a handy handle.

The one time i tried the cheese it wasnt high octane yet, i wouldnt suspect it is yet either.. but im gona find out once i determine its done cooking. and i will be sure to report. im afraid i might of screwed up tho cuz i had like an inch of cheese to start but when i put this in the secondary i lost my layer of cheeses. but im hopoing enough will form again....

How high is the oxidation risk you reckon? ill keep that in mind next time.

Wouldnt the co2 push the air out tho?

I'm only sorry I found this so late, after the curds rise for the first time skim them off and drain well, wrap in cheese cloth and press, you have a free feta type cheese, fabulous in salads, do not mix back into ferment, protien haze hazzard!!, usually the milk (sheep) is fermented the curds are saved and the liquid thrown out as useless!, we got better things to drink:h:h:h

i wish i would of kept the curds now -_- they tasted awfully sweet tho. So does anyone have any idea how long this should take to ferment dry from 17 PA lol

4/18/10 update early morning..

The pa has moved from 17 to 10.5 since last monday. im using redstar premier curvee (sp)? How does this rate on the fermentation scale? is this fast or slow or just about to be expected?

Latest posts

Back