My Milk Wine project

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth8530

The Atomic Wine Maker
Reaction score
Well, yesterday i got sorta bored and decided i would try out something ive heard about before, Milk wine.

Procedure

2 gallons of milk and 2 gallons of water mixed together.

enough sugar to bring the PA up to 17% ( this is part of the 2 gallons of added water.

A hand full of crushed lactic acid enzyme pills to turn the milk stuff into glucose that the yeast can use.

priemier curvee (or whatever it is called) From redstar.

THOUGHTS

I would of used nutrient but i dont have any and i dont feel like killing some of my yeast packets by turning them into nutrients..

Was a slow started, little activity until i put the primary in a large bucket of warm water to get things going. Smells really sweet.

It never ceases to amaze me what wines can be made out of!

Good luck and please update with results when you can.

Thanks,
Steve

I will do my best to keep yall updated. Milk wine is more of an OLD thing that some people are rediscovering. It was really popular with the mongols because they had plenty of milk producing animals that traveleld around with them but no portable fruit for wine making.

It was really popular with the mongols because they had plenty of milk producing animals that traveleld around with them but no portable fruit for wine making.

Just picturing an army of warrior nomads traveling the (Europe?) continent.
"Ya, ve may not haf ze toilets or soap or bowls to eat our gruel out of, but by Zeus, ve vil haf ze alcahol! LOL:)

Just picturing an army of warrior nomads traveling the (Europe?) continent.
"Ya, ve may not haf ze toilets or soap or bowls to eat our gruel out of, but by Zeus, ve vil haf ze alcahol! LOL:)

ROFL thats great, its kinda cool in a way because, by making wine we are in a way going back in time and practicing an art that has deep roots in history and culture

This is pretty common in africa. I have a buddy from Kenya who had to drink fermented milk as part of a manhood ritual.

Wow, thaats pretty cool. its forming a pretty big head. its atleast an inch thick right now. im keeping the wash pretty warm by bathing my primary in pretty warm water. The milk is starting to lose some of its whiteness and is beginning to turn closer to clear looking.

Cool! You're gonna have to get some pictures of this process up.
People will want to see this.

Here you can see how thick the cap is, it has a cottage cheese like consistncy and has a sweet milkshake like taste

Here is me taking a PA reading. it started out last night at 17% right now it is at 16% notice how it is no longer white like milk but has taken on a slightly clearer greenish hue. It dont taste spoilt. In fact i would say its rather like a warm milkshake.

So would yall recomend taking the sweet cheese stuff off the top? or just let it be lol>

Thats what i did, but whenever i do it just forms right back up lol. it doesnt want to go away -_-. Do you think that it will keep fermenting strong overnight in the basement? its gona get around 60 in there? or do you think the heat from the fermentation will keep it going strong?

Thats what i did, but whenever i do it just forms right back up lol. it doesnt want to go away -_-. Do you think that it will keep fermenting strong overnight in the basement? its gona get around 60 in there? or do you think the heat from the fermentation will keep it going strong?

got a brewbelt? if not, try wrappping a blanket or something to keep it from losing heat overnight.

Yeah it's gonna want to foam up. There are a lot of protein chains in milk.
If you can move it to the kitchen or somewhere with a warm stable temperature it could be a bit safer. 68-75 degrees F. is ideal.

I do not have a brew belt, and dont really have any blankets to put over it. do you think that a space heater next to it will do the trick?

I was kind of wondering about temp too! Until it actually produces alcohol, spoilage is definitely some thing to consider. Where did you get the recipe, I seen a few different ones I will send you a link for to help give you some more info. YES!!! definitely stir that cap back in, probably several times a day. Don't allow it to become dry for very long.

Troy

As long as you can control the temp on the heater to stay within range that should work. Just dont have it right on it. You don't want to cook it :)

I was kind of wondering about temp too! Until it actually produces alcohol, spoilage is definitely some thing to consider. Where did you get the recipe, I seen a few different ones I will send you a link for to help give you some more info. YES!!! definitely stir that cap back in, probably several times a day. Don't allow it to become dry for very long.

Troy

How much alcohol do i need before spoilage beco
mes a biggie? Based the recipie off from the wine press forum. but they got it from a book called something like " the alaskan bootleggers" something or another. But i pretty much did the same thing that they did. 1 part milk 1 part water and enough sugar for your alcoholic taste.

What happens if it gets dry?

And im hoping it will get warm enough with the space heater to keep it happy

The Alaskan Bootleggers Bible, Leon W. Kiana. Hillbilly sent me a copy for Xmas, I did see a recipe in there for it. Give me a second, I will find those others.

Latest posts

Back