My Milk Wine project

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although it's very early here my neighbour noticed my lights on and dragged me round to look at this stuff. I want an award for bravery folks!
It is fermenting like crazy! It does smell like milkshake and looks like an angry beast.:)

haha, i tried it a few days ago and i couldnt drink it. just too funky. not like its spoilt. just strange for my pallate. But im hoping that it mellows out. What interist me is how alcoholic it taste yet the alcohol is not unpleasent at all lol

Just imagine the possible food pairing.... Oreo's, Penut butter and jelly sandwich... yumm

I think the taste will change with age Seth. It has all the evidence of a wine made for aging.

I think the taste will change with age Seth. It has all the evidence of a wine made for aging.
Awesum, thats how mine smelt when i first started. Do you know what his starting gravity was? Smells good tho dont it lol.

Just curious, what makes you think this wine has evidence of a wine ment for aging? as opposed to something like skeeter pee which dont?

Ok, ive added potasium sorbate, and 1 camden tablet per gallon. Should that be enough to keep it stable? It finished at 15 percent alcohol. When i started it i had a potential of 17.

Seth - you aren't the only one! I started some milk wine in the beggining of April from a recipe in the Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible. I used recipe #2...with lactaid. Right now it is in the secondary...and is just a shade lighter than mtn dew color. When i transfered mine to the secondary about two weeks ago, it tasted like a slightly sweet sake with just a hint of milk at the finish. (and yes, I had to remove about 1-2 inches of milk curd from the top). Can't wait to bottle.

Yea, i know what you mean about the mountain dew colour lol. I cant think of way to many green wines lol. So how much and in what way would you say that the flavor of your wine improved with a month of aging? and would you make it again?

I haven't tasted it since I put it in the secondary. I will probably stablize and bottle it in a week or two, so I will update you with a taste test then. As to making it again, it will depend on how it tastes in 6 months or a year. I don't have alot of experience (only started making wine last summer) but the other fruit wines I made were a lot better after at least 6 months....too bad I am running out of full bottles.

I know what you are talking a bout when it comes to space lol. I have considerd aging it with some cinamon sticks or vanilla chips. but i dont know if the flavor would taste good with it or not/

vanilla might be very nice. i think i will stick with just the plain stuff this time but if i like it, vanilla to finish next time might be tasty.

yea, only prob is that i dont know where to get vanila chips or how much vanilla flavoring i would have to use tho. any idea?

Well I got to give it to you guys.This is for sure one of the most interesting recipes we've seen in here, but by golly, it seems to be working. Good job.

I like the idea of a touch of flavoring on the next one.

im just glad that mine isnt the only one that looks like mountain dew lol. Do you think that bottled vanilla flavoring is the wrong way to go about adding vanilla to the wine?

I honestly don't know.

If it were me, I would not use imitation vanilla flavoring. Go with pure vanilla extract or consider using dried vanilla beans.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques92.asp

heres a recipe from Jack Kellers site for vanilla wine where he mentions using vanilla beans, may give you some ideas.

Last edited:
So his uses about 4 vanila bean pods per gallon while it is fermenting. Do you think that my wine will be able to get an adequate amount of vanila flavor even tho it has been stabailized? does it even matter? Thank you for the link btw. I think ive decided my next project is gona be the fast clearing acient orange mead btw lol

Well, I got dragged round to my neighbour's house again. He showed me the "wine" and let me taste the cheese. The cheese is actually not at all bad. I could imagine using that.

I was thinking vanilla beans as well. I am not sure you would want a lot of it though...it could overpower the original flavor.

I did try my batch today (about 4 weeks in)...the closest taste is sake I think.

Yea, i tried a sip of mine a couple days ago. I still think that it taste kinda unpleasent but i think it is starting to taste a little better now. Ive never had Sake so i wouldnt know if that is what mine taste like or not, but i think it does taste kinda similer to a nuetral distilled alcohol with an added unpleasent taste. Im hoping some time and vanilla beans will do alot to fix that tho

Back