My Milk Wine project

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it still appears to be burping along quite happily. so far no rotten milk smell has developed so i believe that i am past having to worry about that now. A layer of what looks like yogurt has formed on the bottom. there is a thin layer of curds on the top but prob not enough to worry messing with

Seth, sounds like its coming along. Just remember, it will probably be you by yourself taking the firste taste test. Just want you to know we will be looking for the expression on your face before the rest of us joins in!!! LOL
:slp
be sure to keep us posted, this is an interesting "twist" to what we know as wine.

I plan on "tasting a sample" of it as soon as it gets done cooking. so im guessing that will be sometime next weekend. I would take a video if i could lol (L. But ya, even if it dont taste good i will let it age.. now just thinking, it shouldnt take more than a few months to age since this is after all a true "white wine" righhhtt??

i tasted it.....

Ok, so i decided to take a gravity reading to see how it was coming along. The potential alcohol was at 4% and im going to wait a couple days and see if that is changing any.

Ok so now for the fun part childeren. This thing has a flavor like no other. I have a hard time deciding just what it taste like. Right now ive decided to go with plain yougort with a taste sorta like a very mild cheese that was in the fridge uncoverd. BUt with a water like consistency. Ive tasted something in spanish cousine before that tasted very similer to this before i just cant put my nose on it. ( my sample did come from near the bottom with the yogurt layer so maybe this has an influence on the flavor ?)

Soon after the taste, is the unmistakeable taste of alcohol. It taste very strong but not unpleasent at all.

So boys and girls, after fermentation is complete should i stabalize this? i know that this is the usual practice but im afraid that stabalizing would hurt some natroul biological milk proccesses that could lead to improved flavor.

Question 2. Right now It is very nuetral tasting minus the strange cheese flavor. so im thinking that i should age this on something to give it more flavor. So has anyone here aged on cofee beans before or cinamon? how did that turn out and do yall think it would help my flavor woes out

Seth, love ya dude, your crazy milk wine intrigues me I think you are "as mad as a snake":h you gotta get the prize for perseverance but 4% ain't gonna light anyones candle, anything under 10% won't keep so I think drinking it soon would possibly be a good idea, or do you strain off the liquid and keep the cheese?, I don't know!, best of luck with it anyhoo:h.

Seth, love ya dude, your crazy milk wine intrigues me I think you are "as mad as a snake":h you gotta get the prize for perseverance but 4% ain't gonna light anyones candle, anything under 10% won't keep so I think drinking it soon would possibly be a good idea, or do you strain off the liquid and keep the cheese?, I don't know!, best of luck with it anyhoo:h.

Sorry, i wasnt clear. it started with a potential of 17. and it now has a potential of 4. Therfore the alcohol should be 13 percent right? so any ideas or suggestions lol. and yes mad is my middle name lol

Honestly, I have a hard time reading about your milk wine.. :s

It's intriguing though and I just had to read it today.. Problem was I read it right before lunch and I have to admit I lost my appetite!! LOL

:b

Sorry, i wasnt clear. it started with a potential of 17. and it now has a potential of 4. Therfore the alcohol should be 13 percent right? so any ideas or suggestions lol. and yes mad is my middle name lol

I see I think;), the muddy waters clear, this is getting interesting, do you age it on Beech chips, they are sort of sweet or do you go with vanilla oak, I would be tempted with the yoghurty flavour to add/ serve(eventually) extremely cold with a dash of raspberry syrup, maybe a sweetened creme fraiche floater! sound crazy?, well that seems to be my middle name:), at 17% it ought to be backsweetened to 1020/30 as a light dessert wine, you just have to keep me posted on the progress of this wine, I am fascinated with the fermentation of dairy produce, the Tibetans have their fermented yak milk, "oh yes sir, very fresh! only 2 years old!" a number of European cheeses are fermented, ie Romanian Cas and French Neufchatel, I seem to vaguely recall an alcoholic goat milk drink but just can't remeber where from.

What is this vanila oak you speak of? Right now i wouldnt call the yougourty flavor pleasent at all lol imagine yougourt with a strange unrefined semi musty taste to it.. its rather rough to be honest. but Its the off taste which needs to be taken care of. The flavor is so so so hard to explain.

Im hoping with time that this flavor will be mellow out lol. But once that goes away its gona taste like strait up alcohol with an odd flavour less body to it.

That is why i want to age it on somethign that will impart a LOT of flavor.

I really wish that someone here with way more experience at wine making than me would try this.

Not a chance buddy! This is why labs have rats. LOL. Glad you're trying first!

Defiantly stabilize! You don't want 'milk processes' after it's wine. Now can you use condensed milk to back sweeten? LOL

Right. I've passed your recipe on to one of my neighbours. He's a very good winemaker. I just don't have the stomach for this one myself. We'll see how he does. Should be interesting.

Seth, if you start getting real freaky like fermenting chicken stock or something....you're outta here!!! LOL.

Just don't know if any of us could stand hearing about it, you got us watching you and the milk, but soup might be going to far.

However, in your defence. There is actually a lot of resources out there regarding fermented milk. So, for that, I guess you can stay.

(BRAHFF!!)

Right. I've passed your recipe on to one of my neighbours. He's a very good winemaker. I just don't have the stomach for this one myself. We'll see how he does. Should be interesting.

Thanks, yall are great. If he actually does it could you give us updates on how his goes? O and also forbid him from throwing out the cheese like i did. lol

Torch- Alright. im def gona stabalize this once i rack it. The condensed milk would actually be a great idea if i wasnt afraid that it would spoil lol ( and i think you were being sarcastic lol) but it really dont sound like that bad of an idea.. Thank you.

hmmm fermented chicken stock..... Now there is an idea. I dont think it actually contains chicken just the eccence. I wonder if it would be like fermenting a vegitble medley. I bet it would clear really well too.

What i love about this new found art/hobby of mine is that it puts us in the same shoes our ancesters were in many years ago. Whether it be hundreds or even a thousand years. I really do believe that winemaking is an art. I mean litterly an art. That should be respected on the same level as any other art. The ammount of fine details that are needed to insure that the wine is just perfect, the way it looks in the light, the way the acid balances the alcohol. its just amazing. ( end of wine rant)

Yeah, he always keeps good notes so I'll pass them along. He thinks it will be an interesting experiment and is looking forward to it.

and to think I've been throwing away my curdled milk all these years. Whoooo-da-thought. Leanne's right, I don't think I have the stomach for this one. Even thinking about making it makes me uneasy but go for it. Watch it'l be better than all of ours.

i know -_-. so now im asking the question.... will this work on powderd milk? and im curious to see how his turns out in contrast to mine.

I was joking about the condensed milk for sure!! I'm intrigued by it too you'll have to let us know how it tastes as it ages.

The other white wine, milk wine. :) :) I crack myself up some times :)

haha, i tried it a few days ago and i couldnt drink it. just too funky. not like its spoilt. just strange for my pallate. But im hoping that it mellows out. What interist me is how alcoholic it taste yet the alcohol is not unpleasent at all lol

Just imagine the possible food pairing.... Oreo's, Penut butter and jelly sandwich... yumm

Back