My latest batch of rotgut

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahahaha!!! More threads like this and I might just have to participate more again on the forums! :)

Hey D.J., did you point him to the Super Sugar Method yet? :)

And also not for nuthin, but I'm sipping a Welch's that was cleared for three months, after racking and degassing, then filtered, before bottling. It's clear as a bell.

Wine is a big word. It means many things.

Aw, shucks!...

I need to be more sensitive to the fact that not everyone is in on this running joke.

The way I grew up, wine was a source of family pride. I can just imagine what my grandfather would beat me with if I ever served him fermented Welch's.

But, this is my own particular background. Some folks like oysters, some think them disgusting. Some prefer back woods moonshine to the finest conac. It does not mean that your tastes are any better or worse than mine.

For me, fermented Welch's is my own worst incarnation of Hell and it is very funny how the teasing goes back and forth. My personal favorite was when it was suggested that I be the judge of the unofficial WMT Welch's wine competition. You can just imagine my reaction!

So, please take no offense. Take pride in your tastes and laugh along with me.

Last edited:
Hahahaha!!! More threads like this and I might just have to participate more again on the forums! :)

Hey D.J., did you point him to the Super Sugar Method yet? :)

haha
Yeah Jim, gotta love a good Welchs thread or a "non-traditional thinking of making wine" thread.

No sir, I couldn't find the recipe but I really didn't look hard for it. Was hoping you would chime in here. Didn't you use to have a link to it in your signature?
I could probably recite it by heart as I have made so much of it. It continues to be my wife's and her best friend's favorite wine.

Speaking of that, my local market is featuring R.W. Knudsen Just Juices on sale at buy one get one free starting tomorrow. They have Aronia Berry, Black Cherry, Black Currant, Blueberry, Pomegranate, Cranberry, Concord Grape and Tart Cherry. So a BOGO would give me one gallon of juice. How much would I have to dilute that to make a good wine?

Check out the links above in jswordy's post. Well worth your time, trust me.

It seems that making juice wines is an art form in itself :)

When I first read about Super Sugar method I thought you were talking about people who ferment sugar, water and nothing else then use
the result as a base for party punch. I haven't tried frozen concentrate yet, probably have to give it a try now. Might even buy some oak chips, a big wingback chair and a smoking jacket.

It seems that making juice wines is an art form in itself :)

When I first read about Super Sugar method I thought you were talking about people who ferment sugar, water and nothing else then use
the result as a base for party punch. I haven't tried frozen concentrate yet, probably have to give it a try now. Might even buy some oak chips, a big wingback chair and a smoking jacket.

The difference between a person making drinkers' wines and a person who is a true vinophile is that the guy making the drinkers' wines is totally OK with the main reason he is drinking and needs no others.

:)

My latest batch came out the other day, Ocean Spray Cran-Strawberry. People commented that my last batch was too sweet so for this batch I made my normal 5 gallons of juice but this time I added 1 gallon of purified water to but back on the sweetness a bit. It is getting rave reviews, tasy as heck and kicks like a mule :db

My next batch is going to be made from Welch's 100% juice, White Grape-Cherry with plain White Grape juice, again to cut back on the sweetness. Only this time it will be 5 gallons of Grape-Cherry and one gallon of just Grape. No extra water.

My latest batch came out the other day, Ocean Spray Cran-Strawberry. People commented that my last batch was too sweet so for this batch I made my normal 5 gallons of juice but this time I added 1 gallon of purified water to but back on the sweetness a bit. It is getting rave reviews, tasy as heck and kicks like a mule :db

My next batch is going to be made from Welch's 100% juice, White Grape-Cherry with plain White Grape juice, again to cut back on the sweetness. Only this time it will be 5 gallons of Grape-Cherry and one gallon of just Grape. No extra water.

Are you making these the "Super Sugar" way? Is that why there are too sweet?

Are you making these the "Super Sugar" way? Is that why there are too sweet?

No, it is the juice itself that starts out sweet. I add one cup of sugar per 64 oz bottle, not to make it sweeter but to get it to the desired ABV content.

Back