My latest batch of rotgut

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kpassa

Junior
Reaction score
Just finished bottling up a batch yesterday and it came out so well I thought I'd share my experience. If you are interested in fine wine you can stop wasting your time right now and move on to the next thread. I specialize in cheap, strong wines that are ready to drink within weeks. This latest batch is different because I actually used a hydrometer to check the progress. Normally I just go by a chart and judge the accuracy by how easy it is to get off the couch after a couple of glasses :d

My juice this batch was Welch's Smooth 100% juice, Red Grape flavor. It's actually a blend of white, concord and red grapes with 36 grams of sugar per 8 oz glass. I picked this because it was on sale at my local market for less that $2 per 64oz bottle. I buy 10 bottles to make a 5 gallon batch. I already had a mess of sugar that I bought on sale several months ago at 99 cents per 4 pound bag and my yeast that I'm using right now is Red Star Premier Cuvee. I don't use any other chemicals in any part of the process.

I started the wine on January 3rd. While proofing the yeast I took 2 bottles of juice and heated them in a stock pot until hot but not boiling. I then added 6 pounds of sugar, which is 1 cup per 64 oz bottle, and stirred until dissolved. I have a chart which shows that if you have X amount of sugar per liter you will have Y amount of ABV. So I already had a known amount of sugar in the juice and adding the extra sugar brings it up to a potential of 13-14% ABV.

I dumped my juice/sugar mix into a fermentation bucket then added more bottles of juice to cool it down. Once it got to a safe temperature I added the yeast and used more juice to wash out the proofing cup, making sure all of the yeast ended up in the bucket. I measured the temperature of the mix (it was about 68 degrees), checked with a hydrometer and used another chart to adjust for the calibration of the hydrometer to get a starting SG of 1.104. I covered the top of the bucket with a white T-shirt and let nature take its course.

After 4 days of letting it foam away I put a regular lid with an airlock on top of the bucked and left it for another 3 days before switching over to a carboy. When I first started doing it this way I had a lot of trouble siphoning the wine from the bucket into the carboy but then I figured out a better way. I sit the bucket on top of a table and have my carboy on the floor. I then attach a length of hose to the spigot on the bucket, run it down to the carboy, open the valve and gravity does the rest as easy as can be :D

After 7 days in the carboy I noticed the airlock activity had slowed to almost nothing and I didn't see much activity on the surface so it was time to do the bottling. My bottling method is just as elaborate as the rest of the process: I put it right back into the original bottles, labels and all. This has 3 advantages. 1, The bottles are already paid for. 2. They are plastic and won't blow up on me if I forget to release excess gases every couple of days. 3. I never forget what the wine was made from so if I really like it I know what to watch for when the sales are on.

Once my wine was bottled I again broke out my thermometer, hydrometer and conversion chart. My FG was 0.996, which translates into a healthy 14.18% ABV. Tastes pretty darn good too. I won't actually start drinking it for a few weeks because I rotate new wine to the back of the fridge and drink older batches so it has time to settle.

I'll never win any awards but people like it. I actually have enough people willing to reimburse me for ingredients in exchange for a couple of bottles that I could have my share for free if I wanted to. But normally I just keep it for myself and give some away every now and then. It sounds crude and primitive but I do make sure everything is properly sterilized and I try and check the accuracy of my recipes, which is why I used the hydrometer. Who knows, maybe someone who was sitting on the fence will see how easy this is and try a batch of their own.

Dang gum, I thought I was cheap! :)

Must be pretty good if friends have you make some for them. I may try that myself

Sounds like you know what you want and have a plan for it. And nothing wrong with cheap. I call it being economically conservative. Mostly, all I have been making lately is Dragons Blood and other quick wines. Generally starting with an SG of 1.110 or 1.120 and try to add my sorbate and k-meta to finish it at around an SG of 1.000 to avoid back sweetening.

Keep up the good work my man!!!:d

Beano Joe

Nothing wrong with cheap wine, my favorite so far was a 3 lb bag of frozen blueberries heated in a half gallon of welch's concord juice, 2 cups sugar, mashed and strained and fermented with montrachet. Delicious.

Must be pretty good if friends have you make some for them. I may try that myself

Right now in my fridge, besides the aforementioned batch, I have wine made from Welchs 100% Juice Black Cherry Concord Grape, Juicy Juice 100% juice blend Mango flavor, Ocean Spray Cherry juice cocktail and Ocean Spray Cran-Apple, which one lady I know called "the best wine she has ever tasted." They all have a common sugar level and are consistently made so if you add 1 cup of sugar per bottle and a packet of good yeast per 5 gallons you end up with something sweet, strong and easy to do. I always buy my juices on sale at a price anywhere from $1.50 to $2.00 per bottle. I have paid as low as $1.00 per bottle and average about $4.00 per gallon of finished wine.

Try rum wine. 1/2 cup molasses per 1 1/2 gallon batch. Yeast nutrient per directions and sugar to desired alcohol level. Has a different flavor and melows nicely with a little age

When I first started making wine I was fermenting everything I could get my hands on, usually in 1 gallon batches. In Jan 2014, I made a 1 gallon batch using a recipe with Juicy Juice Apple/Grape juice. When I made it, I really thought it would be the worst I made. In fact, I bottled it last July and haven't touched it until last week. I was having one of those days where I just needed "a drink" and broke a bottle of this open thinking it wouldn't be very good. I was shocked, it was really good and very smooth. My wife doesn't like wine usually but she tried it and said that is what wine is supposed to taste like, she said she could drink that. Totally amazed.

Don't let the oeno-snobs prevent you from making what you want. You don't have to have vintner quality grapes to make good wine. Some of the best wine I've ever had came from Welches concord grape juice off the grocery store shelf.

< u g h h h h h h >

<doubled over in extreme pain>

Are you trying to kill me Dominic????

Sorry, JohnT I don't mean to cause pain. I'm actually feeling no pain right now due to a nice Welch's white grape peach frozen concentrate wine I bottled a few weeks ago. 4 cans of welch's forzen concentrate, 1/2 lb of honey, red star champagne yeast, 1 month in the carboy, 2 weeks in secondary, finished at about 14% ABV, back sweetened with more frozen concentrate. Yumm

Dominic,

I have been serving as the resident Wine Snob for some time now. A long time running joke is how much I hate Welch's. Do not take this personally, I am sure that you are happy with the wine you make and that is what is most important. As long as YOU like it, that is all that matters.

Last edited:
Kpassa,
Try making some of those Welchs with straight concentrate(frozen cans without the water, in grocery store) and you will get even more flavor that what you have now. 4 cans per gallon will make you a proven winner. You can use any flavor Welchs, Old Orchard, etc. makes. Just make sure it is 100% juice. Each can of concentrate is under $2.
Do a search on here for jswordy's Super Sugar Welchs recipe. I think you would like it.

Kpassa,
Try making some of those Welchs with straight concentrate(frozen cans without the water, in grocery store) and you will get even more flavor that what you have now.

Speaking of that, my local market is featuring R.W. Knudsen Just Juices on sale at buy one get one free starting tomorrow. They have Aronia Berry, Black Cherry, Black Currant, Blueberry, Pomegranate, Cranberry, Concord Grape and Tart Cherry. So a BOGO would give me one gallon of juice. How much would I have to dilute that to make a good wine?

kpassa, I love this! I really appreciate your approach. I'm actually sipping a glass of Welch's wine right now, and enjoying it. If I want a fine cab, I know where to buy them, and I can afford them (not bragging, it's just part of the "approach" to this). Maybe eventually I'll try to make wines of that quality... but I kinda doubt it. I've spent hours in the caves of Bordeaux, and I don't expect really to be able to make wines like that. But some fun, homemade fruit wines, made for cheap and freely handed out to friends, is a fun thing to do. Thanks for posting this great comment about having some fun making cheap and enjoyable wines!

Last edited:
What's up!

One way to improve your recipe may be to degas and let it clear. I'm guessing your wine still has a yeasty taste and sediment in it? If you like what your making keep at it. But don't be to proud to take advice from fellow winemakingtalk members. There are many experienced winemakers here that bring lots of knowledge with them. I am still a rookie myself and look to this forum for assistance often. I'm guessing with a little more effort and patience you could make your wine leaps and bounds better. But again. If you like it keep making it and drinking it.

And don't be offended by John T. He means well. I think? He is one of the more knowledgable members here. When I first started making wine there was a thread about someone wanting to make wine out of an energy drink. John was way against it but I encouraged the poster to give it a try. John was probably right. But I still say "give it a try". You can always pour it out if it sucks

Last edited:
What's up!

One way to improve your recipe may be to degas and let it clear. I'm guessing your wine still has a yeasty taste and sediment in it? If you like what your making keep at it. But don't be to proud to take advice from fellow winemakingtalk members. There are many experienced winemakers here that bring lots of knowledge with them. I am still a rookie myself and look to this forum for assistance often. I'm guessing with a little more effort and patience you could make your wine leaps and bounds better. But again. If you like it keep making it and drinking it.

And don't be offended by John T. He means well. I think? He is one of the more knowledgable members here. When I first started making wine there was a thread about someone wanting to make wine out of an energy drink. John was way against it but I encouraged the poster to give it a try. John was probably right. But I still say "give it a try". You can always pour it out if it sucks

Not for nuthin, but the person you are talking to has been a member here as long as you have.

And also not for nuthin, but I'm sipping a Welch's that was cleared for three months, after racking and degassing, then filtered, before bottling. It's clear as a bell.

Wine is a big word. It means many things.

I wasn't ripping on kpassa or Welch's. Just trying to help the OP improve his recipe. As I said in my last post I encourage experimentation. He may very well be a way better wine maker than me. I don't care for the one batch of welchs I have made. Doesn't mean I won't try again??

I see you took the time to degas and clear your wine.

Last edited:
I see you took the time to degas and clear your wine.

I actually like the wine to be gassy. My wife only likes fizzy wines and the bubbles help her to pretend it's something that it isn't. Because I rotate my wines they do have a chance to settle and I don't get a yeasty taste at all except for the last bottle I try to coax out of the carboy, which is usually as clear as mud. But that one goes farthest back and I do rack it into one of the bottles that I have emptied before getting to it. You would be surprised at how clear it is when we drink it.

I will admit it sounds like something you would find in a prison but I am meticulous about cleanliness and I do follow lots of the techniques I read about on these forums. I just adapt them to what I'm making.

Speaking of that, my local market is featuring R.W. Knudsen Just Juices on sale at buy one get one free starting tomorrow. They have Aronia Berry, Black Cherry, Black Currant, Blueberry, Pomegranate, Cranberry, Concord Grape and Tart Cherry. So a BOGO would give me one gallon of juice. How much would I have to dilute that to make a good wine?

You wouldn't want to dilute it at all. R.W.'s is essentially the same as Welchs except they offer many more varieties/flavors.
What I was originally talking was using concentrate in the cans, it will give you more flavor as it doesn't have water in it already like the Welchs you used or R.W.'s. Just a different angle to try and you can make a gallon for approx. $9(4 cans at $2/can, yeast) plus whatever chemicals you use.

On a side note I like your way of approaching things. It is very similar to mine. Make what you or yours like and go with it. I keep a decent supply of dry reds that I have either made or purchased but also have quite a few 1 gal. and 2 gal. batches of Welchs or experimental wines, ie: apple/jalapeno, chocolate covered cherry, dragon blood port, etc.

Latest posts

Back