My first wine kit arrived today!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've decided to begin my wine making experience with this Eclipse Cabernet kit. I went with the Cab since I prefer bigger, bolder wines. And, I liked the fact that it has skins with this one. I ordered oak chips and some tannin, "just in case it needed some extra ummph!

Now, I'm just waiting on my equipment kit so I can get this baby started!

wine kit.jpg

Congrats on a fine kit!
Winemaking is one of the finest ways to learn patience... My first kit (a white) was almost all consumed by the time it reached the 6 month mark due to my exhuberance. Please plan on this high-end wine being drinkable by ~Sept 2019... which means you'll have to start a few more batches while this one ages!

Last edited:
Congrats on a fine kit!
Winemaking is one of the finest ways to learn patience... My first kit (a white) was almost all consumed by the time it reached the 6 month mark due to my exhuberance. Please plan on this high-end wine being drinkable by ~Sept 2019... which means you'll have to start a few more batches while this one ages!
Thanks Trevor! Yes, I'm certainly going to try to be patient. If things go smoothly with this, I'm sure I will start up a second batch rather quickly! I'm getting pretty excited about starting this journey!

Eclipse kits are the only ones I don't tweak much. As stated above,they need time..... Which gives you time to tweak some cheaper kits for drinking now. Whatever.....your wine your way! Enjoy the process.

I’m new as well and recommend something that does not require 2 years of aging before you can enjoy it. I’m stuck now with 5 big reds all under 1 year which I’m afraid to uncork.

It’s a great hobby and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have over the first year.

I’m new as well and recommend something that does not require 2 years of aging before you can enjoy it. I’m stuck now with 5 big reds all under 1 year which I’m afraid to uncork.

It’s a great hobby and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have over the first year.

I’d also recommend you buy the all in one wine pump. I wish I had to start instead of the other items like: degassing whip, siphons, bottling attachments, etc. the all one wine vacuum pump does all this more.

The Eclipse Lodi Cabernet requires about 20 months before it will really wow you.

Awesome! As others have said, it is a hobby that requires patience, but I find it so much fun because you get to learn about the science and math behind it! One piece of advice I could give you is don't hesitate to ask questions. This forum is full of information, and everyone here is super helpful:D Most importantly, have fun with it!

This was the second kit I made, back in December 2014. I still have 9 bottles left. I made it strictly by the book, probably to include adding water to top off. It was good from the beginning, but at 20 months it really started shining. At three years I had a bottle and wasn't impressed, I thought maybe it had passed it's prime. I opened another bottle last weekend with no expectations. it was phenomenal. Good nose, incredible body, a thick rich mouthfeel. It was one of the best wines I've ever had. It's 3 1/2 years old now and very very good. I have other kits turning three this summer and built up enough over time that most of my daily drinkers are all kits 2 years and older. But now I can't wait for another year to pass to see how my other wines improve.

You picked a winner, if you can be sure to keep enough bottles around to have one every six months and watch it mature, it's worth it.

I second the recommendation of the AIO. A true time saver and work reducer.

I third it. Also patience is tough for the first couple of batches. What you might want to consider is buy a couple 5 gallon carboys. That way you can bottle 5, once it clears, to cheat with while you are waiting for the rest to age.

Now you guys have me thinking I need to buy a white wine kit to start with, so I can drink something I make early AND to make sure I don't screw up the first batch!

Now you guys have me thinking I need to buy a white wine kit to start with, so I can drink something I make early AND to make sure I don't screw up the first batch!

One at a time??! Crazy talk. Stock up on carboys! It would also give you a good feel for the aging process to have a belly full of young wine before getting into the really good stuff.
And what’s this “white” wine you speak of?? Never heard of it. You can enjoy a young red just as well!
But after you do your thing and the Cab is stabilized and aging- you’ll end up with a full carboy that won’t be open any time soon. A second (and 3rd) carboy will be a necessity. Makes racking a one step process instead of 2 steps (carboy to bucket then back to cleaned carboy). Always need an open one for this purpose.
And WHEN you jump in and get bit by the bug? That pump they mentioned is the sheeeeoottt!!!! And soon enough you’ll be having conversations about fresh grapes-barrels- MLF- acid adjustments- ph meters- etc... this isn’t speculation either. This is fact. Welcome to the secret club. :)

Last edited:
One at a time??! Crazy talk. Stock up on carboys! It would also give you a good feel for the aging process to have a belly full of young wine before getting into the really good stuff.
And what’s this “white” wine you speak of?? Never heard of it. You can enjoy a young red just as well!
But after you do your thing and the Cab is stabilized and aging- you’ll end up with a full carboy that won’t be open any time soon. A second (and 3rd) carboy will be a necessity. Makes racking a one step process instead of 2 steps (carboy to bucket then back to cleaned carboy). Always need an open one for this purpose.
And If u jump in and get bit by the bug? That pump they mentioned is sheeeeoot! And soon enough you’ll be having conversations about fresh grapes-barrels- MLF- acid adjustments- ph meters- etc... this isn’t speculation either. This is fact. Welcome to the secret club.

Let him have it AJ. My only correction is you should have change "if" to "when".

And WHEN you jump in and get bit by the bug? That pump they mentioned is the sheeeeoottt!!!! And soon enough you’ll be having conversations about fresh grapes-barrels- MLF- acid adjustments- ph meters- etc... this isn’t speculation either. This is fact. Welcome to the secret club. :)
I hear ya! I'm not a big White wine drinker, just thinking that might be the way to go. I like the bigger reds, so I got the Cab thinking that's what I want to make! Any suggestions for a kit that makes a drinkable young red? Not a fan of fruity wines, so those are out. I'm ok with a red I can drink early as long as it tastes good!
With the new equipment coming in I will have two 6 gallon glass carboys, one 5 gallon glass carboy and one 6 1/2 gallon plastic Big Mouth carboy....so I'm kinda on my way.

I’ve got 4 empty fermenters and 24 carboys, you’re welcome to use whatever you like, hydrometer, auto siphons, nothing will be used until October. I won’t need all the carboys or the 8 gallon fermenters at all......just let me know.

John, as soon as I get everything in, I'll touch base with you to make sure I have everything figured out. I certainly appreciate your generosity!

I hear ya! I'm not a big White wine drinker, just thinking that might be the way to go. I like the bigger reds, so I got the Cab thinking that's what I want to make! Any suggestions for a kit that makes a drinkable young red? Not a fan of fruity wines, so those are out. I'm ok with a red I can drink early as long as it tastes good!
With the new equipment coming in I will have two 6 gallon glass carboys, one 5 gallon glass carboy and one 6 1/2 gallon plastic Big Mouth carboy....so I'm kinda on my way.

I'd recommend a 10 or 12 liter kit. Won't be as big as you may like but will be enjoyable earlier.

How about a Vintners Reserve Bergamais

Latest posts

Back