My first try is a balloon wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorothyp

Junior
Reaction score
I ran across a balloon wine recipe in an old cookbook that looked too easy to not try. I started it three weeks ago and have been doing a little reading in the meantime. Ok... I will never use a balloon again, but I have this one started. Here's my problem... Two weeks in, my balloon popped. I noticed it about five hours later and put another one on. It continued to inflate to about half the size as the original. Is this wine ruined since the balloon popped? Should I throw it out? Should I still strain it and taste it?

The fact that the balloon popped will not be responsible for ruining your wine. I don't know what your recipe is, so your wine may not be any good for other reasons, but there will be no discernible negative effects from having the balloon off for 5 hours.

I ran across a balloon wine recipe in an old cookbook that looked too easy to not try. I started it three weeks ago and have been doing a little reading in the meantime. Ok... I will never use a balloon again, but I have this one started. Here's my problem... Two weeks in, my balloon popped. I noticed it about five hours later and put another one on. It continued to inflate to about half the size as the original. Is this wine ruined since the balloon popped? Should I throw it out? Should I still strain it and taste it?
odds are it should be good, ad get drilled bungs and S airlocks,,,
Dawg

Hi Dorothyp - and welcome.

In fact, you don't need anything other than a loose cover to cover the fermenting container. Historically, home wine makers who made wine in crocks might use a plate to cover the mouth of the vessel to keep out dirt and flies. The issue is only that the cover allows carbon dioxide to escape and keeps out dirt during the first weeks of active fermentation. A plate or cheese cloth would accomplish this (the gas would push the plate up to allow the gas to escape when enough pressure would build up. It is , though, after active fermentation has ceased and the yeast are no longer pumping out CO2 (carbon dioxide) that you do want something to keep air out as air has a tendency to oxidize fruit and so spoil the flavor and the color of your wine. A balloon is one folk solution but a simple bung and airlock is better if only because it is less susceptible to bursting or flying off.

Hi Dorothyp - and welcome.

In fact, you don't need anything other than a loose cover to cover the fermenting container. Historically, home wine makers who made wine in crocks might use a plate to cover the mouth of the vessel to keep out dirt and flies. The issue is only that the cover allows carbon dioxide to escape and keeps out dirt during the first weeks of active fermentation. A plate or cheese cloth would accomplish this (the gas would push the plate up to allow the gas to escape when enough pressure would build up. It is , though, after active fermentation has ceased and the yeast are no longer pumping out CO2 (carbon dioxide) that you do want something to keep air out as air has a tendency to oxidize fruit and so spoil the flavor and the color of your wine. A balloon is one folk solution but a simple bung and airlock is better if only because it is less susceptible to bursting or flying off.
Thanks SO MUCH for the information! On my way to order an airlock right now.

I'll add a little bit of information for your project. The byproducts of yeast eating sugar is 1) ethyl alcohol, or ethanol which is why you're making wine and, 2) carbon dioxide which is why the ballon inflates and popped. The fact that a new ballon inflated, albeit about half of the other as you site, tells us that carbon dioxide is still being released. As an FYI, CO2 actually protects the young wine from oxygen. So, like others, I'm confident that your wine isn't ruined as a result of the ballon popping and going unnoticed for five hours.

Sounds like you were able to order a stopper and a air lock. As @hounddawg recommended, "S" air locks are better than the two piece air locks IMHO.

A couple more things to remember:

1. Time is the best ingredient. Don't get in a hurry to bottle and drink. Certainly taste but don't bottle until the wine is completely see through clear and is no longer expelling CO2. And, let it age for several months before drinking. Likely not what you want to hear.
2. Consider really taking a run at this amazing hobby. Check out a wine making kit at MidWestSupplies or another retailer and get a wine juice kit. Wine juice kits have everything you need to make wine and you just need the proper equipment (wine making kit).
3. You'll find that the people on this forum are more than willing to provide help and guidance. All you have to do is ask as evidenced by this string.
4. And, remember, you're a Vintner (winemaker) now!

I'll add a little bit of information for your project. The byproducts of yeast eating sugar is 1) ethyl alcohol, or ethanol which is why you're making wine and, 2) carbon dioxide which is why the ballon inflates and popped. The fact that a new ballon inflated, albeit about half of the other as you site, tells us that carbon dioxide is still being released. As an FYI, CO2 actually protects the young wine from oxygen. So, like others, I'm t?
confident that your wine isn't ruined as a result of the ballon popping and going unnoticed for five hours.

Sounds like you were able to order a stopper and a air lock. As @hounddawg recommended, "S" air locks are better than the two piece air locks IMHO.

1. Time is the best ingredient. Don't get in a hurry to bottle and drink. Certainly taste but don't bottle until the wine is completely see through clear and is no longer expelling CO2. And, let it age for several months before drinking. Likely not what you want to hear.
2. Consider really taking a run at this amazing hobby. Check out a wine making kit at MidWestSupplies or another retailer and get a wine juice kit. Wine juice kits have everything you need to make wine and you just need the proper equipment (wine making kit).
3. You'll find that the people on this forum are more than willing to provide help and guidance. All you have to do is ask as evidenced by this string.
Thanks and will do! Also, is this the type of airlock I want?
G
eef128df-be60-44d8-ba3f-48650263668c_1.e3224f5302814349dae5118ababd6337.jpeg

When I first made wine some time around 1960 I had not heard of an air lock although I vaguely remember hearing about the balloon at that time. An old-timer advised me to drill a hole in the cork and run a length of tubing to a glass of water. The end of the hose needed to be underwater and it was neat to see and hear the bubbles as the gas escaped. As I learned more I switched to the S type but I think the tubing under water was effective.

Balloons may not be strong enough - try the Cuban way - condoms.

Attachments

• LUaw5BMNvdybp9i6jDQtfZ-650-80.jpg
    LUaw5BMNvdybp9i6jDQtfZ-650-80.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 3
I'll add a little bit of information for your project. The byproducts of yeast eating sugar is 1) ethyl alcohol, or ethanol which is why you're making wine and, 2) carbon dioxide which is why the ballon inflates and popped. The fact that a new ballon inflated, albeit about half of the other as you site, tells us that carbon dioxide is still being released. As an FYI, CO2 actually protects the young wine from oxygen. So, like others, I'm confident that your wine isn't ruined as a result of the ballon popping and going unnoticed for five hours.

I am also making some homemade wine and I combined all the ingredients in a glass old milk jug and put the balloon on and the balloon did expand and has been expanded and is still holding tight and it's been about 2 months now should I just leave it on until the wine is completely clear and the balloon comes down or is there a certain amount of time that I should remove the balloon even though it's inflated

Oh what fun! Balloon wine is one of those novelty ferments on my list that I just haven't done yet.
As I recall they're meant to be quick drinkers. When the balloon deflates it's time to start drinking, something like 4-6 weeks. Sorry I can't be more help.

Latest posts

Back