My first taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJBanks

Reaction score
First timer. Working a C C Chardonnay. Just finished my secondary fermintation. Somewhere along the line I read one should taste along the process....so....I drew a little and gave her a sip. Tasted weak & fizzy with a bitter after taste....But it smells real good!

So am I doing ok?????? Or go wrong somewhere along the way?

I haven't made a chardonnay before but if you haven't degassed yet then it will be fizzy .You're doing the right thing tasting then if you make another batch & something goes wrong you will have something to compare it to .Hope you enjoy your new hobby ,I know we are .

The guys on this forum always told me to taste my wine when ever you do something to it. Sometimes it gets hard to write down what your tasting, but I do my best. As long as the wine is getting better every time you taste you, your doing good.

Its fine..
Reason to "taste" is to see how it comes along during different stages of fermentation. What you taste is the yeast still working..

The guys on this forum always told me to taste my wine when ever you do something to it. Sometimes it gets hard to write down what your tasting, but I do my best. As long as the wine is getting better every time you taste you, your doing good.

You taste along the process to understand and experience what your wine is going thru. Then if at any point in time you run across something askew you may be able to cure it before it becomes gallons of drain cleaner.

Fortunately I've not experienced that but it does happen.

You taste along the process to understand and experience what your wine is going thru. Then if at any point in time you run across something askew you may be able to cure it before it becomes gallons of drain cleaner.

Fortunately I've not experienced that but it does happen.

this is exactly right. eventually, you can "see past" the flavor at that point and see where the wine is headed. i've had my mother taste the wine sometimes and she's always, "this is awful!" Six months later and she's like wow, this is so much better. I'm thinking, why, i haven't modified it at all, besides maybe back sweetening.

wine will taste a little yeasty, dry (depending on how far it's along) and slightly more acidic/bitter. Depending on type and what level of acid is in it. Back sweetening and aging will help reduce the bitterness and dryness. The fizzy taste will go, if you give it a splash racking. Rack it by just pouring it into another carboy (no siphon) before you go to bottle it. the flavor should be better with a little back sweetening too. i'm not familiar with kits, so i cannot tell you how "full" bodied that wine will turn out. i recommend either searching, starting a new thread or pm'ing someone here to what brands/kits work best for your goals.

Latest posts

Back