My first Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigabyte

Reaction score
After reading a number of Skeeter Pee threads, I started working on my first batch today with a mix of all I learned. A Skeeter Pee thread is how I found this place, so it only seems fitting that the first batch I start since joining is this.

I'm equipped for 1-gallon batches only (I have 4-L and 1gal Carboys), so I had to divide up the recipe (it wasn't that hard to do but some minor rounding had to be done)

Also, rather than use invert sugar, I am starting with regular sugar and using only 1/3 of the lemon juice to start, and will add another 1/3 when the fermentation is really active, and the last 1/3 at the prescribed time.

I also did not have any yeast energizer. I've never used it before (which is why I don't have any), so I'm hoping this batch ferments fine like most other things I've done.

Other than those variations, everything else is the same as the regular recipe.

EC-1118 Yeast will be pitched tomorrow night.

If this ferments well, I'll start another 2 or 3 gallons, but I want to make sure this starts up first. If not, I'll try again by fixing one of the variations (yeast energizer, invert sugar), and wait to make multiple batches until I get something that works.

Here' the must in what I use for a primary container (yes, it's a big glass vase).
Must.jpg

looks good big. Energizer is a great supplement, but you'll probably be fine. get some though. As somone, I think our buddy Wade pointed out, yeast nutrient is the food, and energizer is the vitamins. In fact a little of each in any(well, according to the recipe and the manufaturers recommendation on the nutr/ener) wouldn't be bad in any wine you ake.

It is very important in the pee. Make sure you use some in the next batch to ensure a successful fermentation.

Your wines look good though buddy. Keep on keeping on. Cover them with a t shirt or keep them out of the light.

Keep us posted on your progress.

About covering them with t-shirts, I was curious about that.

I have these in my garage, which is used for storage, not for parking. I used this area because it had the most space I could use for this, and stays cool like a basement would. The rest of my basement is finished and stays at room temperature.

Anyway about the lighting, I only have two small windows on the opposite side of the garage, and there is no way for direct sunlight to ever reach the backside of the garage based on all of the "stuff" in between. However, I do have flourescent lighting which is turned on so whenever someone goes in the garage they can navigate around. The lighting that would light up the area where the wine is are two 24" flourescent tubes.

Given this setup, should I be covering the wine? Or am I overthinking it and the general rule is "just shut up and cover that wine already"?:)

I think it's optional..... but: I make my wine in a windowless basement room and I still cover all my carboys. It does protect against light while I'm working in there, but the effect would be negligible. The main reason I cover is to protect the carboys. I even cover my empty carboys. If you accidently bump two carboys together, being that both are made of glass and they have a very hard surface, breakage can occur with even small bumps. Put a sweatshirt over each and you would have to bang them pretty hard to get breakage. It also protects against dirt, dust, and small falling objects. If you're creative, you can also use the covers to identify what's inside.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, sounds like pretty good reasoning to me.

I pitched the yeast tonight into the Skeeter Pee. I'm anxious to try it, probably because I know it's supposed to be ready so quick!

Thanks for the tips, sounds like pretty good reasoning to me.

I pitched the yeast tonight into the Skeeter Pee. I'm anxious to try it, probably because I know it's supposed to be ready so quick!

The "pitched yeast" method often can take longer than the slurry method. A slurry has HUGE numbers of hungry, active yeast just waiting to pounce on your Pee and can sometimes finish fermenting in less than a week. A dry yeast packet usually takes a little while to really get rolling. Either way, this stuff is ready to drink as soon as you bottle it. Cheers!

I myself started my first batch of Skeeter Pee. Will pitch the yeast this evening. I didn't have a slurry so the conventional method will be used. the AC is currently broke so the temp in the house is 81 degrees. Hopefully the little critters will take off.

By the way, I followed the recipe at www.skeeterpee.com

Steve

Don't know where my reply went so here it is again:

I too just started my first batch of Skeeter Pee. I used the recipe Ministomaker posted at www.skeeterpee.com. I too did not have a slurry on hand so I will be pitching the yeast conventionally this eveing. The AC is broke so the temp is around 81 degrees. Hopefully the critters will take off before it is repaired.

Steve

4 hours after pitching the yeast I have ACTIVE FERMENTATION. Must be the temp...it's at 81.

This morning I had some active fermentation starting up, and could hear a fizz. However, several hours later it was no longer fizzing and looked pretty quiet. I could not smell any alcohol, it still smelled sweet. So I gave it a good beating with the whisk to get some air into it.:gb Hopefully this stuff will start up and not struggle too hard.

I have made about 8 batches of pee and only used the slurry once.

If you are going to go without a slurry, build a large, at least 2 litres of starter.

I just pitched a 2 liter of starter in a ginger pee about 15 minutes ago. I let this starter build for about 24 hours.

Without a slurry, or an agressive starter, you may have a tough time getting fermentation to start.

Pee likes to be whipped, everyday. It is one of the keys for this wine.

My skeeter is blowing the top off the air lock. I whipped it pretty good for two days before pitching the yeast. It is so active today that I probably won't whip it right now. I used Lavin EC-1118 yeast. AC is fixed and the current temp of the must is 76 degrees. I am probably one of the lucky ones.

Steve

Steve,
Take the airlock off and loosen the lid, let it have some air, sounds like it is going great man.

76 is a perfect temp. Dont worry about removing the airlock or the lid. Cover it with a clean dish cloth or cheese cloth or even leave the lid on loose.

We wouldn't stear you wrong. Well, unless this was a poker game, than we may tell you anything. LOL

Well, several hours after whipping air into it, it is even more still than it was this afternoon. There is no more bloom on top and the yeasties are all hovering around towards the bottom half of the primary. I'll wait and see what happens tomorrow I guess.

I'll be going to the LHBS tomorrow for more nutrient and will pick up energizerwhile there. I also need sorbate.

I'll do another batch this weekend using the energizer. I will be racking a Pinot Chardonnay from secondary fermentation in the next day or two that was made with Lalvin D-47 yeast. Do you think I should use the slurry for it?

It really needs the nutrient and energizer. mix it in according to the directions on the package, butyou will want to add more as the fermentation reaches around 1.050 according to Lons recommendations, you are fine.

Don't judge a fermentation based o activity, use the hydrometer.

If you can see bubbles or hear it fizzing it is working.

If you think you are having a problem, pop in and say so, we'll keep it going for you.

Promise.

Troy, I didn't read your reply until just now. Wish I would have as fermentation has stopped. Lot of yeast and overflow on top of primary. The SG is at 1.055 (started at 1.070) which I am assuming I need to proceed to the next step..addining more nutrient, energizer and bottle lemon juice. Am I correct. I am following minisotamaker's recipe.

Steve

Latest posts

Back