my first skeeter pee: image

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrygirl

Reaction score
picture.php

it was like waking up on christmas morning...i could hear it before i even uncovered it. i was a little worried as the temp. is a pretty steady 73 in utility room, and can go as little as 71 if the guys are hot and messin with the thermostat...but looks like it took off in less than 12 hr!

Hey, that looks great - I haven't made one of these yet, although it's on my list to do. I was expecting something a little bit lighter in color - did you add something to darken it?

i used the slurry/lees from my 5 gal. blackberry...when i stirred it up, it was still dark yellow underneath...i stirred it up real good, and there is alot of blackberry pieces/pulp/drupes (?sp)

my s.g. is 1.050 this morning!!! ready for the next step!!!
it looks like i'm going to have a pink skeeter pee:db

aahh, thanks lon, that means alot!
i'm hoping my new carboy comes in today, so i can "tuck this little girl into bed", lol

skeeter pee gone wild

my skeeter pee is going wild! it's down to 1.020 and foaming like crazy!!!
my new carboy didn't come in today:m
it's smelling really strong/yeasty...is my skeeter pee throwing a temper tantrum?

it's just doing what it likes to do. it is doing fine. LOL, you better hope that carboy comes is pretty quick.

it's just doing what it likes to do. it is doing fine. LOL, you better hope that carboy comes is pretty quick.

praying it'll be waiting on me when i get in from work tomorrow!!!
it and the blackberry have to do a swap so the blackberry will be okay on headspace...i could see where this could get complicated, lol

okay, the foam this morning is almost like a cap:gb
it's 2-3 inches thick and solid "acting", and getting brown looking...
have i done something wrong? incorporated tooo much oxygen?
and here i was, worried that there wasn't enough slurry from the blackberry to get this started.
thanks for any info

and here i was, worried that there wasn't enough slurry from the blackberry to get this started.
thanks for any info

Have you checked the sg lately and have you added the last bottle of lemon yet? By your description I would say it's ok. It sounds like it is starting to come to an end of it's fermentation. You didn't incorporated too much oxygen.

check your sg, add the last bottle of lemon if you have not done so and it you are down to 1.010 get it into a carboy.

thank you julie!
it is down to 1.010
since the carboy is not in, i put the lid and airlock on the primary.
i wonder if it had something to do with the yeast used for the blackberry?
it, too, foamed heavily and had little "volcanoes" going on, lol.

thanks for any info

The foam cap is pretty normal. It usually means you are fermenting gangbusters. The faster it gets done, the faster you'll be enjoying.

hope so, lon...the carboy still didn't come in today, but my extra primary did, so i did some swapping around and now the skeeter pee is in the 6 gal. carboy with airlock on. i think it has slowed down a little...slightly, lol. :d

at the end of the fourth day. how long does is it usually take for skeeter pee to finish dry? it's still got a decent airlock action but the color is very nice and pink. foaming is much less.

at the end of the fourth day. how long does is it usually take for skeeter pee to finish dry? it's still got a decent airlock action but the color is very nice and pink. foaming is much less.

Too many variables to predict accurately. I've had some finish dry in as little as 5 days, others took 3 weeks. Because I try to keep an ample supply bottled and ready, I've been fermenting it a little cooler and then it takes just a bit longer.

I've been fermenting it a little cooler and then it takes just a bit longer.

that might be part of the equation...since it is in the 6 gal. carboy, it is in the floor...right across from the airvent...
temps are 74 on the counter, but i bet much cooler in it's current location.

update

picture.php

here's what it's currently looking like. guess who forgot to order the correct bung for the new 3 gal. carboy? :sh duhhhh...
so i wanted to say this somewhere...i've ordered supplies from 3 different companies online...finevinewines is officially the quickest shipper!!!!
thanks george...i'll be placing an order for a #10 stopper this weekend!

Latest posts

Back