My first referment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjd

Wine Lover
Reaction score
I have my very first referment. This is a California Zinfandel that was started from a juice bucket November 19, 2011. from my notes the wine was bottled on August 5th 2012 and the final gravity was .998, a little higher than normal. The wine was clear, tasted great and I needed the carboy so I bottled it. I decided to try one and when I uncorked it it almost sounded like an AK47! I then cleared all of it off of the racks, uncorked them and poured them into a carboy. I experienced no blown corks and everything seems like we just has a stalled fermentation.

I have my very first referment. This is a California Zinfandel that was started from a juice bucket November 19, 2011. from my notes the wine was bottled on August 5th 2012 and the final gravity was .998, a little higher than normal. The wine was clear, tasted great and I needed the carboy so I bottled it. I decided to try one and when I uncorked it it almost sounded like an AK47! I then cleared all of it off of the racks, uncorked them and poured them into a carboy. I experienced no blown corks and everything seems like we just has a stalled fermentation.

DUDE...... you need to stop following everything I do and vise versa!!! I just did the same today with my Chardonnay. Like you, I may be in the market for a decent barrel. Any suggestions? Thinking American Oak. I'm not messing around with piggy bank either, maybe 15 gallons.

DUDE...... you need to stop following everything I do and vise versa!!! I just did the same today with my Chardonnay. Like you, I may be in the market for a decent barrel. Any suggestions? Thinking American Oak. I'm not messing around with piggy bank either, maybe 15 gallons.

Dan, I really want to get into barrels! I know I cannot give my wines what a barrel can. Everytime I try a great barrel aged wine it makes me wish that I could make wine that good!
I only wonder if it is possible for me. I generally spend the winter in Florida and I know the barrels would need to be topped up while I am gone. I have not figured out how to handle that yet.
Let me know if you find something on a barrel, I agree 15 gallons would be about perfect. I would even consider a little bit bigger.

Latest posts

Back