My First Peach

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plato

Reaction score
So I got my hands on some local peaches and thought what better than to make some wine. I have been reading where 6 lbs per gallon is preferred? In any case currently they are in my freezer until I get the remaining peaches to round out the batch. My question is this?

When they thaw, would it make any difference to process the peaches in the food processor or leave them in slices?

Also I left the skins on them. should I have removed them or does it matter.

No need to chop the fruit, pectinase will break them down. The skins will enhance the color, usually. Aim for 8-10#/gallon for an all peach, no water wine. I would scroll thru Country Wines, or search, and take a look thru the peach threads. Also peach can be a bear to clear so bentonite added in primary will benefit this wine immensely.

Last edited:
8 to 10 is correct, below that your drinking sugar water. saramc is not a newbie, she knows what she is talking about.

Thanks so the juice form the peaces is all I need? ok Ill check out the recipies and thanks again

as others have said, no water, or at least as minimal amounts as possible. I prefer to remove the skins only because I think I can get them cleaner that way?? I have made it both ways with little difference in the quality. After freezing and thawing personally I hit them with a potato masher and add some enzyme. After a couple of days I then dump them into a couple of 5 gal paint strainer bags in and in the primary they go with K-Meta.
Be prepared for some of the strangest smelling fermentation to date (a second dose of nutrient around 1.040 SG wouldn't hurt) and a wine that seems to take forever to clear.
all in all it's worth it. I have read on here recently that bananas help with clearing so next round I'm gonna add some to the peaches.
keep us posted

Thanks so the juice form the peaces is all I need? ok Ill check out the recipies and thanks again

Should be. I was told last year if you have to add liquid to use 4 cans of Welches white grape peach concentrate per gallon of water. My 2012 peach turned out pretty well and I added about a gallon of liquid using that approach. I'm hoping to avoid that with this year's batch though.

When you freeze them, they produce alot of juice. So you shouldn't need any more fluid.

Our peach ferment has nice aromas. If you are getting stinky ferments, it could be that you're stressing the yeast from improper nutrient support. It's always wise to split your nutrient into 3 batches so the yeast stays well supported.

Always bentonite peach. Not only is this wine difficult to clear most of the time, but it can suffer from protein haze. Bentonite is especially good at handling that haze.

When you freeze them, they produce alot of juice. So you shouldn't need any more fluid.

Our peach ferment has nice aromas. If you are getting stinky ferments, it could be that you're stressing the yeast from improper nutrient support. It's always wise to split your nutrient into 3 batches so the yeast stays well supported.

Always bentonite peach. Not only is this wine difficult to clear most of the time, but it can suffer from protein haze. Bentonite is especially good at handling that haze.

Thanks for the advice Turock, I'm getting ready to start another batch of peach in the next few weeks. I'll give the Bentonite a try. I have split the nutrient dose in half before, about 3 days apart. It did help some but toward the end I start to get a foul odor. this is when I make the call to get it off the fruit and into the secondary. It is a bit early according to the hydro but it seems to eliminate to order. The wine always turns out fantastic, I'll try to split it into thirds on this batch

Peach just stinks while fermenting. I've made a few batches and no matter what I do it smells like crap, that is until the ferment is finished. My granddaughter says it smells like old farts. Lol

My peach right now smalls like ***!! Im hoping time in the bottle improves that bouquet!!

I don't understand how the peach wine can make liquid without adding any water. :'(

LOL, as Boatboy24 said, just wait. Peach needs a good year for the flavor to really come thru and it is worth waiting for.

I hope so! I have six gallons of peach, my first ever wine, hidden away in a cool dark place. When I put it there it's taste resembled a mid grade unleaded.

Lagreeneyes--The way that happens is to freeze the fruit first---AND pectic enzyme. You'd be amazed at the juice from freezing. Then you need no water.

So whats the best overall recipie for peach wine? I picked 11 gallons of home grown peaches. So far I've cut 5 and got 20 pounds pitted with skins still attached. I should have 40 pounds total. Do you think i'll need more?

Recipies and process please

Peach will throw a ton of lees. I started 56 pounds of frozen cut up fresh peaches. Pitched the yeast 2 days ago. Added 6 cans of white grape and peach and with the peaches from the freezer in a 13 gallon primary. Best guess is somewhere between 8 and 11 gallons once we remove the 2 fruit bags. Hard to say what the yield will be though because last year there was so much lees we were racking every day or so.

Our peach was very drinkable at 6 months.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back