WineXpert My first Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardcore

Reaction score
Just finished setting up my first kit ever.
Winexpert Selection International French Merlot
Started 01/03/09
Pitched yeast and covered at 11:16am
SG = 1.09
Temp = 70f
Thanks to everybody on the forum. You and this forum are a great help :D

Sounds like your off to a great start! Enjoy the process and hope you have some other wine in the house to drink while this one goes thru to completion and you let it age some too.

I asked this in the Intro section, but here we go again...
Thanks for answering so quickly Steve.

Do I airlock the small hole in the cover of the primary?

Racer... I'm on to one of the better parts of wine making... making empty bottles :D

Its taken me 6 years to finally get to the point of having too many empty bottles.But that is another fun part of this hobby.

Got have empty bottles! And you can't have enough of them.

Shes alive!!!! Just over 24 hours later theres a steady rythmic flow of air bubbling out of the airlock :D

Temp question....
The area I have to work fluctuates in temp from 62 to 66 F. Is this too cold? If I need to up the heat, is there a good way to use a heating blanket on low perhaps to get the heat up?

Temp question....
The area I have to work fluctuates in temp from 62 to 66 F. Is this too cold? If I need to up the heat, is there a good way to use a heating blanket on low perhaps to get the heat up?

Yes, too cold. Yes. some peole use a bungee cord to tie around the bottom of the primary.

Steve

How would I remedy this with the heating blanket idea? How would I know what the temp is with out taking a temp reading from the must? I'm using a cheesy digital clock style thermometer that I have just next to the primary.

My brother used a stick-on thermometer that is available from most Wine Making Shops. You can also get a floating thermometer. Many people leave them in the primary while fermenting.

If you will ever do beer get a long floating thermometer (6") rather than a short one (3"). The short one is OK for wine but gets lost in the foam (krausen) of beer.

Steve

I put a heating blanket under a towel against the coldest side of the primary. Temp on that side is up to 68F. The blanket is on low. I'm checking periodically to note any temp changes as night falls. So far a steady 68F.

Make sure to watch it as most heating blankets shut off after 1 hour of use. Once the frementation takes of well the must will probably bump up 5 deg all its own from the activity of the yeast.

Well I put the primary in the den. The fiancee is loving the fact she has the kitchen back. This room is close to a constant 69F. The rattle of the airlock is a soothing addition to the feel of the room ;)

I'm coming close to the time frame that the kit says to check SG (5-7 days). Should I check on day 5?
or
Should I wait for a certain "sign" from the airlock (marked slowing in bubbles)?

Personally I ignore visual signs. If the wine is still at 69F, I would wait the 7 days.

Steve

Thanks Steve. The temp has been at a low of 68 overnight and a high of 69 during the day.

Thanks Steve. The temp has been at a low of 68 overnight and a high of 69 during the day.
I rarely check sg for a wine prior to 7 days. You're at the low end of the range, so I'd say wait the 7 days. Even if the sg is 1.000 or lower at that point, it won't be a problem.

Steve

Will do! This gives me time to get the proper bung for my carboy. The one I have looks like it will fall into the neck of the carboy

Most glass carboys use a #6.5 bung. However, many 6.5 bungs are not marked for size.

Steve

Latest posts

Back