My first Meade

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsmith

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,
So I am making my first mead and I have made a few mistakes? I started it on 06/26/20. I used a wildflower honey locally sourced and followed a recipe I found.
1 gallon batch: 3, 1/4lbs of honey, raisins, twinnings green tea pomegranate, raspberry, strawberry (natural flavors not fruit), Lalvin D47 yeast and topped it up with filtered water and left some headspace in the carboy.
OG came out to 1.120.
Its fermenting fine but I forgot to put raisins in when I made the tea. Can I add the raisins now, or is it neccessary. If so how do I add them and keep it as sanitary as possible? Sorry for the long post.

Thanks

I did not add anything as far as nutrients. I have LD Carlson yeast Energizer and some straight DAP.
So its honey water tea and yeast.
No need to boil or clean the raisins I'm assuming?

I’m about three to four months ahead of you in my own mead. First time making it, and I’m using pretty dark wild flower honey of my own bees. Mine tastes a little like a Riesling, just not as sweet. At all... lol I’m thinking of back sweetening a little with some honey for a little more taste and was wondering about oaking as well. Now that I’m thinking about it, I may back sweeten it with a little maple syrup for fall... good luck with yours!

Latest posts

Back