My first Malolactic fermentation test

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueStimulator

Reaction score
Well I finally got the test kit with papers to see if the Malolactic Fermentation was completed. So I gave it a shot and here is how it turned out. As it was my first vintage very happy it looked complete. Some of these tests and number checks, sort of make me feel analytical but then I remember that isn't possible

image.jpg

Last edited:
I am going to throw in a somewhat negative opinion (or maybe just throw water on it, who knows). Even with that clear of a chromotography test, I would wait at least two more weeks before adding meta-bisulphite. Chromotography is only good down to about 50 ppm and you really want it to be lower than that.

I am going to throw in a somewhat negative opinion (or maybe just throw water on it, who knows). Even with that clear of a chromotography test, I would wait at least two more weeks before adding meta-bisulphite. Chromotography is only good down to about 50 ppm and you really want it to be lower than that.

What do you mean by "only good down to about 50 ppm"? I had a similar looking test about 2 weeks ago. Tested again the other day and looks about done. I still planned on waiting another couple weeks to rack and sulfite, but that's still new info to me regardless.
I tested the So2 a couple weeks ago as well and was at about 50 free ppm.

I forgot to add that I did the inoculation of the malolactic bacteria back in early winter.I was concerned since my shop is kept between 60 and 65° That maybe they didn't have a chance to finish the fermentation and wanted to make sure that it warmed up enough they could finish.

I forgot to add that I did the inoculation of the malolactic bacteria back in early winter.I was concerned since my shop is kept between 60 and 65° That maybe they didn't have a chance to finish the fermentation and wanted to make sure that it warmed up enough they could finish.

What mlb strain did you use? And exactly when did you start it, what month?
Are those all red?

Your PC looks great! You got a lot of samples on there. You must have kept the samples very small! Did you fill the piplets to the line and go from there? I had a very hard time getting the samples right to the line.

Last edited:
End of Oct and as a newbie I just wrote in my notes added MLF.. Wines are 2 gal of Cab Franc. 2 gal of Petie Verdot, 3 gal of Cab Sav and 5 gal of Viognier.

Actually I'm not sure I haven't even looked at my notes if I did or did not. I was running the test and just did them all. Hey I'm a newbie and like I said this is my first vintage so I am gonna make some mistakes big and small:h:::h::

Actually I'm not sure I haven't even looked at my notes if I did or did not. I was running the test and just did them all. Hey I'm a newbie and like I said this is my first vintage so I am gonna make some mistakes big and small:h:::h::

If your voignier is the "V" on your chromo test, there's no malic left in there!!!!

What do you mean by "only good down to about 50 ppm"? I had a similar looking test about 2 weeks ago. Tested again the other day and looks about done. I still planned on waiting another couple weeks to rack and sulfite, but that's still new info to me regardless.
I tested the So2 a couple weeks ago as well and was at about 50 free ppm.

What I mean is that chromatography looks the same at 50 ppm as it does at nearly 0 ppm. It really isn't a quantitative test.

Ok. Thanks. Is that why you prefer to use those malic test strips that actually give you the color coded shade of amount of malic remaining?

That, or give it the two weeks to make sure it's done. Judging from the length of time you allowed before your first chromo, you probably could have gotten a test result like this, but can't know for sure. I'm with cmason, give it the time and sulfite it.

Ok. Thanks. Is that why you prefer to use those malic test strips that actually give you the color coded shade of amount of malic remaining?

Partially, yes. But even when they say I am done I wait two weeks before sulfites get added. I only do about 4 tests a year and I don't like having chemicals sitting around unused is the main reason.

Most definitely will be erring on the side of caution. No need to rush anything here. Again, a great hobby for procrastinators!
I asked because that was the first I heard of chroma testing not being the the be-all-end-all. And if I did see that said, (I believe cmason1957 touched on it a few weeks ago) I suppose just didn't quite comprehend it at the time.

Back