My First Labels...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerT

Junior
Reaction score
As a long time brewer, I used to call our "Brewery" the Angry Chihuahuha Brewing Co., after our old dog. All of my beer labels were usually a funny inside joke with the “Angry Chihuahua Brewing Co.” logo. Last year I started my first wines. I wanted something different for the wines and my wife suggested a racing/car theme. So, given the “quick aging” of the stuff we make (drinkable in a year or less usually) and the car theme I drew up a logo and “Vini Veloci” or Fast Wines was born. Here are the labels for the first four batches, all of which were labeled/shrink capped last night.

Slide13.jpg

Slide12.jpg

Slide11.jpg

Slide10.jpg

-Todd

Cool labels. Any one of those could also make a killer label if the images were made into illustrations (not better, just different). I like how you infused a theme into the labels...it makes them more important by having a story behind them.

Thanks. They look even better on the finished bottles in my opinion.

IMG_1972.jpg

My goal is to have an historic race car from the Country of Origin for each wine type.

-Todd

Hi Todd, I like your labels. It's a nice idea to have a theme going. One observation, it looks like you are leaving a lot of air space between the cork and the wine. Ideally you really only want about a 1/4 inch or less of space.

Thankss for the tip. I am not sure how to get more. I usually fill until the wine is level with the top of the bottle. Then when I remove my bottling wand, the level drops to where you see it. Any tips on how to add more?

-Todd

There are a lot of different opinions in this hobby. Personally, I think your space beneath the cork is just fine. And it happens to match the commercial bottle that I just put in the fridge.

Less airspace with synthetic corks may lead to problems with the corks being pushed out a bit.

Steve

Gotcha. I use natural #9 or aglomerated (natural and synthetic blended) #9's.

Todd: I just use a small funnel to bring the level up to ideal after the wand is out. Put some wine in a sterile measuring cup befor you bottle and set aside to use as top up. Cheers. Rob

I usually just tap the end of the wand against the neck of the bottle (inside obviously) to get the level I want. I don't see anything "wrong" with your ullage, though I fill just slightly higher.

Last edited:
Very nice labels. Way more sophisticated concept than I can imagine. I'm still just concentrating on drinkable wine:p

Latest posts

Back