My first boil is fermenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey-hey! Not too damned bad for the first time out! It will get you drunk, I'll say that for it. Drinking it now. Smooth with a slight bitter finish and the nice Cascade aromatics. The glass shown is a fairly hard pour 16 days into carb. I am going to go the full 3 weeks before putting it to bed in my Coke cooler.

I can see where I want to go from here. Thanks to everyone for the newb support and help! Much appreciated.

A Scottish Ale kit arrived at the house yesterday.

Gee, I wonder who ordered that! :)

Gonna refrigerate the grain and hops until I can get to it.

So much for the English Bitter. Drank the last 2 bottles last night. It got better as it went along. I'll make that again sometime.

So much for the English Bitter. Drank the last 2 bottles last night. It got better as it went along. I'll make that again sometime.

I have 36 bottles left, I have to ration what I have to make sure it lasts.

However I have moved up my next boil schedule from April 1 to March 1, so I can go 6 weeks (3 primary - 3 bottle) and have some brew ready for sping!

Kegged my first batch on Saturday. It's a "Dead Ringer IPA"
Will give it a try next weekend. Oh..... did I forget to say I hate bottling! So I bought a kegging system.

Kegged my first batch on Saturday. It's a "Dead Ringer IPA"
Will give it a try next weekend. Oh..... did I forget to say I hate bottling! So I bought a kegging system.

I'm the exact opposite. I love bottling! It's the culmination of all that other tedious work. Especially since I learned to just toss the bottle into the dishwasher on hot wash/hot dry with no soap, then bottle. That takes the worst part of it out of the equation. The one advantage a keg system would have is, no sediment.

You must have a sanitize cycle on your dishwasher. If I had a good supply of bottles, and it was that easy, I probably would bottle.
Ps... I hate bottling my wine as well.

Last edited:
You must have a sanitize cycle on your dishwasher. If I had a good supply of bottles, and it was that easy, I probably would bottle.
Ps... I hate bottling my wine as well.

Nope, not necessary. Set the dishwasher to hot wash and hot dry, use no soap, load clean bottles, and run a full cycle. You are good to go. I get bottles at the recycler all the time.

Back