my first batch ever, Pomegranate wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhorton

Reaction score
A good friend of mine got me into this hobby/obsession and I'm now ~1 month month into my first batch, Pomegranate. I'm using a recipe my friend gave me;

15 lbs. Sugar
64 oz. POM Brand 100% Pomegranate Juice
7 gallons water
1 pkg. of Red Star Pasteur Red wine yeast
6 tsp of acid
sterilize everything include yourself!

Boil water and dissolve sugar in the bucket
Add 6 Teaspoon of acid
Pour juice into the Carboy
Siphon sugar, water, acid mix into Carboy
Add yeast when room temp

Rack the wine every month until fermentation ceases.
Bottle and enjoy

I didn't know about taking SG measurements when I started or their importance. I went out and bought a hydrometer yesterday and took my first measurement today and had a 1.9. Its fermenting really well, I think, 1 bubble through the s-shaped airlock every 3-4 seconds. Is there a way I can calculate the alcohol content without know the initial SG?

1st WELCOME to the Obsession.
64oz and 7 gallons if water will not make much of a wine.
I make wine from juice and used 5 1/2 gallons of pomegranite juice and maybe 8# of sugar. The only thing you will make is alcohol with no flavor.
Who told you to use only 1/2 gallon of juice?
Your getting maybe colored water w/alcohol at best.
you need a hydrometer to ck the gravity. Once its around 1.015 transfer, wait 2 weeks and ck to see if its .990 (dry). Then start to add finning agents.

5.5 gallons seems like alot. The friend who got me into wine making gave me the recipe he used when he made the wine. He give me a bottle which I really enjoyed and its the reason I started doing this. It had plenty of flavor, and had a nice light pink color.

I hope it comes out good but I have to agree and say that this will be a very weak flavored wine and think that there is a type "O" in the amount of something there. Just imagine what this would taste like before fermentation and then take more flavor away as this is what happens when making wine, you wil lose some flavor!

so how do you get all the sugar dissolved? do you boil the juice to dissolve it? I take it that with that much juice it produces a "full body" wine?
I just picked up a extra 5.5 gallon carboy I'm thinking about trying it your way with this new batch, or possibly meeting you half way and doing 3 gallons of juice 3 gallons of water, or some other ratio.

is there a golden ratio of water : fruit/juice for good wine?

For the sugar you can dissolve a lot of sugar in a small amount of water. As for juice verses water it really depends out what juice you are using as what you used will typically have more flavor then say a strawberry juice would. Do you have a 6 gallon carboy or a 5 gallon carboy as Ive never heard of a 5.5?

Bottom line 1/2 gallon of juice will not make wine!
You need much more "juice" to make wine. Check your friend as he certainly added more juice to his 6 gallons of wine.

anything I can do to fix the wine? maybe split it into 2 carboys and add more juice? or just start over?

thanks for all the input

anything I can do to fix the wine? maybe split it into 2 carboys and add more juice? or just start over?

thanks for all the input
Sorry to say ... I would start over. When you do ask here for directions. Your friend did not give the right recipe.

Im guessing that the SG you gave us was 1.09 which is still very high, how long was this fermenting when you took that reading. There is a way to calculate very close to where you would have started but I cannot find the link to it right now. I think we can get you a better product if you split this batch but not knowing the initial gravity it will not be perfect.

I think I'll just start over, Not tossing the other out- there's alcohol in there and that would be alcohol abuse. If it turns out flavorless Ill mix it in with tea, or something.

Sorry to say ... I would start over. When you do ask here for directions. Your friend did not give the right recipe.

Latest posts

Back