My First Batch! BlackBerry!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhostHawk

Reaction score
My First blackberry Batch.

25# Blackberries
35 Pints water
11# sugar
2 1/2 tsp Acid Blend
2 1/2 Pectic enzime (added after first 12 hours)
5 tsp Nutrient
5 Campden Tablets Crushed
1 Package K1V-1116

Steralized all equiptment with PM let dry.

I used 2 straining bags and added 12.5# each with Blackberries crushed. Added all ingredients except Pectic and Yeast mixed with 35 quarts of water. Mixed vigorously before adding bags of fruit and juice. After adding the bags of berries I pushed the bags into the mix till I got a nice consistant feel for the batch. SG at 1.095

12 hours later added the Pectic enzyme.

I may just wait an aditional 12 hours to add the yeast.

Last edited:
Blackberry, raspberry, or blueberry?? I'm confused.

:?

Anyways, congrats on whatever it is you have going!!

Hope it turns out berry good!

:b

looks like it would be good.

acid tester??? it will drastically improve your results and make them more consistent. enjoy!!!!!!

I made a batch last June and liked it from the start. I picked the berries in my yard and did a 5 gallon batch. Was sad I hadn't made more.
From all the urging around here I have ended up with 7 bottles still on the rack.
I just hope this year I can find enough berries to make at least 10 gallons if not more.
My brother works on a tomato farm and swears he has a spot with nice big berries.
We'll see. Around here we don't start having berries until May and June.

looks like it would be good.

acid tester??? it will drastically improve your results and make them more consistent. enjoy!!!!!!

Tested the Ph at 3.8 and pitched the yeast last night about 9pm.

This morning I am already getting a little action from the airlock. I get a bubble approx every 2 minutes.

2 things I have got to mention. One- I cant believe how good this stuff smells. Two- Watching the yeast activate in the water before pitching it to the mix was alot of fun. I almost felt like an escaped mental patient watching it start to foam and move around. lol

This sounds good. What will you make next?

Im wanting to do Peach so bad I cant almost stand it. If they had enough at the market the other day I would have done that. they only had 10 pounds though and had exactly 25 pounds of blackberries. It will be good.

Anyone ever Mix Blackberry and Peach? Or is that bad JuJu?

I feel like an escaped mental patient when I watch my airlock work. Im getting good action, bubbles every 5 seconds or so. My primary is almost full. only 2-3 inches from the top. I hope it doesnt foam too much. I took some video of it just now. Figure I may be able to post it but Im sure you all have been there and done that. lol

Lmao! Yes we have. It's like having your first baby isn't it?

My wine today is very active. The airlock is going wild. I opened up the top to push the bag down and give it a little stir. Hearing the action is wild.

The weird part is that my SG went up from 1.095 to 1.10 ! Is this normal and if not what did I do? Should it still turn out normal?

With a vigorous ferment especially in a large batch the must can get a good amount of heat going. this can skew your SG readings. It is also possible that some residual sugar has been pulled out of the berries as they break apart. CO2 bubbles can also push you hydrometer up while sitting in there. A good spin will free up the bubbles.

With a vigorous ferment especially in a large batch the must can get a good amount of heat going. this can skew your SG readings. It is also possible that some residual sugar has been pulled out of the berries as they break apart. CO2 bubbles can also push you hydrometer up while sitting in there. A good spin will free up the bubbles.

A good spin eh? Well I'll try that.

The first 12 pound bag was crushed by hand and I can also see that aging a part in a possible residual sugar. The second bag was crushed with the kitchen-aid mixer. Next time I'll just use the mixer. I think I'll rack at 1.04. I'm just hoping that it doesn't make a real strong alcohol taste. I still would like to taste the fruit. Time will tell I guess. I'm going to hopefully save 10 bottles for long term aging. Or should it be drank sooner as it is a non grape wine?

SG tonight is 1.042. Im woundering which recipie I will follow to rack at . 1.04 or 1.03. All I know is that in a matter of 4 days I am almost ready to rack for my first time. The color of this wine is just amazing. The house smells of yeast and my Pregnant wife is a little annoyed but tollerant of it. lol. She cant wait till after the baby is born and she has recovered to try this wine. I told her it will be at least 6 months but I may just wait a year.

What a wonderful Hobbie to start.

I feel like an escaped mental patient when I watch my airlock work. Im getting good action, bubbles every 5 seconds or so. My primary is almost full. only 2-3 inches from the top. I hope it doesnt foam too much. I took some video of it just now. Figure I may be able to post it but Im sure you all have been there and done that. lol
Don't we all??

Do not rack it that early or you will be in trouble as its still vigorous at that point and will over flow your carboy. Id wait until 1.010 and stir it up first so as to not leave behind any viable yeast so that it doesnt stop premature unless you dont mind a sweeter wine.

SG 1.018

Racked to 6 gallon carboy and still had another gallon left that I honestly dont know what to do with as I dont have a gallon jug to use that will fit my rubber stoppers.

There was very little as far as lees in this primary fermentation. I filled the 6 gallon to within 2 inches of the rubber stopper. The bubble activity is still very active and seems to have made the airlock more active than it was in the primary, Maybe its just a smaller space for the air to release. The color is just amazing and I cant wait to see how it turns out over time.

Do not rack it that early or you will be in trouble as its still vigorous at that point and will over flow your carboy. Id wait until 1.010 and stir it up first so as to not leave behind any viable yeast so that it doesnt stop premature unless you dont mind a sweeter wine.

Wade, Thank you for that advice. I was close to your number before I read it and decided to rack. What I am seeing now is a continuing of activity in the carboy. Should I let my SG get below 1.00 and if so why? Also if I was in need to stop the Yeast would it be the KMeta that I would use as opposed to the sorbate?

Opinions? Thank you.

Latest posts

Back