My expresso wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth8530

The Atomic Wine Maker
Reaction score
Well, just like my milk wine project this one was born from boredom. I took around 26 STOK coffee shots and mixed it with a boat load of sugar. (prob too much). i filled the carboy with enough water to make one gallon

I used bread yeast to get it started two weeks ago.

Around a week ago i took a reading and the PA was at 15 percent. It had been ferminting strong the whole previous week.

When i took the reading i decided to go ahead and pitch in some preimer cuvee (Spell check). So now we are at week 2 and it is still going strong.

Have i created a monster? when will it stop? It taste like chocolate lol. yumm.

I did the math on it and every 8 oz of the expresso wine will have the equivlent of 1.6 shots of expresso in it.

Questions comments?

comments...there is no X in 'espresso' :p

You cannot take a potential alcohol reading a week after you pitched the yeast, so 15% PA means nothing.

without an initial gravity, its just guesswork.

it'll probably need to age a while to taste good...if it ever tastes good. Honestly it sounds like hooch to me, but with this much 'plain sugar' in there it might end up funky without aging.

comments...there is no X in 'espresso' :p

You cannot take a potential alcohol reading a week after you pitched the yeast, so 15% PA means nothing.

without an initial gravity, its just guesswork.

it'll probably need to age a while to taste good...if it ever tastes good. Honestly it sounds like hooch to me, but with this much 'plain sugar' in there it might end up funky without aging.
yea, right now it is two weeks in and still burping. Its been a pretty interisting experiment anyways

the espresso wine(/hooch/voodoo juice/whatever the hell you choose to call it) is still ferminting 3 weeks in. The sweetness is going away and a chocolate taste is now taking the scene over the sugary taste.

It's always good to see someone willing to experiment. Keep us informed on this one.

yeah Seth, whats wrong with you!? How dare you experiment! I mean esperiment!

There was another thread a while back about a coffee wine, and the poster never did follow up. I personally would be very interested to see how this works.

Coffee wine may very well end up being outrageous. They keep talking about this chocalate raspberry port in here. Maybe a Cappachinno Hooch, may turn out well. We'll never know unless you try. Sorry, I am a pollack, I cant spell cappachinno. LOL

Maybe try using wine yeast on one of these experiments, the results may be quite different. before you start your next "hooch", pop in and tell us what you are trying, we may be able to thwart off results!

In the words of our pal Wade, "man, some of you people will ferment anything!!" LOL

Good luck on whatever you try!

It's always good to see someone willing to experiment. Keep us informed on this one.

there will be plenty coming from me when i get the chance. although, if they are good, i will have to wait to post them up :(

paperwork is in the works to be sent very soon. :db

right now the PA is at 7 percent. it has been fermenting strong for three weeks so far. that is down 8 percent from last week. the question is... how much did it ferment in the previous 2 weeks? when it was at 15 percent i repitched with some wine yeast, so either bread yeast is way tougher than we thought or the wine yeast managed to take over during midferment.

Seth, you do have a hydrometer right?
Please say you do. Don't worry about ABV while its working. Worry about that in the begining.

I may be incorrect, but I have never heard of a wine or a beer, or even "bubbly milk" fermenting for three weeks.

In a way Malkore may be right. Time for you to step it up to the next level and make something to "amaze" your friends! Trust me, youre friends in here are stil amazed at the fermenting milk.

You go brother!!!!!! LMFAO PMGUTAI(purging my guts up thinking about it) !

Keep us posted on the coffee ex too! If you are not keeping notes, don't bother, then all we have is a wine that is fermenting. If we are to share and exchange info, we need to know what was done at what stage, ingredients, etc.

Have a good one. Keep on doing it!!!

Thanks your sopport is encourging. I do have a hydrometer now. My first wine that i started taking serious notes on was my milk one and ive realized that it makes the whole process so much funner.

Do you think its possible that the yeast loves the sugary chocolate caffene syrup enviroment? im amazed myself that it is still going.

I've had mead ferment for 4 weeks.

with the nutrient void simple sugars in this, it might indeed slowly chug along for 3 weeks before bottoming out.

Well in the past three days it has moved from 7 percent to 6 percent. im starting to think that its about done cooking. even though it is on the sweet side it dont taste bad at all.

@ MALKCORE I guess i shouldnt be surprised that is chugging along at this duration, so assuming right now that two weeks in that it read 15 percent now its at 6. thats a bare minimum of 9 percent using bread yeast and later pitching wine yeast. also EXTREMLY INTERISTING: assuming that the first two weeks of fermentaton yeilded no drop in sugar I really wish i had hydromoter when i started this..

Next time, i make a wine im gona add a tsp or two of tomatoe paste as yeast nutrient. either that or boil some bakers yeast and use that as nutrient. ( yeast loves to eat dead yeast)

Alright, right now it has a 6 percent PA. Im going to wait untill this weekend and se if that changes any. if not, im going to rack it and let it sit untill it clears. I should probolly stabalize it too because of the high residual sugar content

Whats the latest report on this wine Seth?

I'm real interested to see how this is going. Sometthing just tells me coffee wine has some merit, but so far you are the first I know who has tried it.

This was more of a learning experience than anything. Next time i do this i will NOT ferment it in a sugar wash. The sugar wash flavor is just so strong for it to become a wine.

But, The coffee shots are bar none an excellent way to get a chocolate flavor in a wine.

However, if you view it as a party drink, there is nothing better in the world. It finished with 4 percent alcohol left. It taste kinda hot and is taste sweet and follwed by a chocolate flavor. As soon as it makes it down your gullet you get a strong caffine buzz followed by a hard to notice alcohol effect lol.

Like skeeter pea, this will catch ya way before you are ready for it lol

The colour is kinda of a light brown. it looks like it is trying to clear but it will be a very long time before that happens

man. youre a cheap date 4% is hardly worth mentioning. I may try this myself. Something just tells me to do this. Must be the beer I am drinking but I just have to do this. I have a couple packs of hot chocolate cinnamon and may mix it with some strong coffee and go from there.

My bad, It had 4 percent un fermented sugar. I checked the gravity 2 weeks into the project and it was 15 percent unfermented. Right now it is all the way down to 4 percent unfermented and probolly not moving anywhere. So you can guess at just how much alcohol is in it. I promise you its no less that 11 percent and definintly more.

I would recomend against using actual coffee because it turns bitter after it sits. But maybe if you let it finish sweet or back sweaten it that might go away.

Latest posts

Back