My cup runneth over

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about trying a honey wine Mike? Mead seems to be a popular choice here, doesn't have to be gallons and gallons of it.. just something interesting to do while you wait for the juice to arrive.

There are 5 empty primaries at my place.. Waiting for the orchard fruit, now spring is here. I could do some kits but I have quite a lot already bulk storing and not enough bottles to move it all into.. I've also run out of winerack space again. So just doing a bit of cider for the summer and going to pick honeysuckle this week for a 2 gallon melomel.

Allie

I have frozen Sweet cherries(about 2 lbs) cherry mead will fill one fermenter, good idea , was wondering what I would do with only 2 pounds

I have frozen Sweet cherries(about 2 lbs) cherry mead will fill one fermenter, good idea , was wondering what I would do with only 2 pounds

sounds like a great combo there! :r

our 75 gal we had has racked down to more like 60~65 gallons. i bet we have only 55, by the time it's all said and done. we lost about 5 gallons in just apple as my dad was in a rush to ferment it and pulp fermeted it, so it seemed like more. racked once to 20 gallons w/ some pulp still. racked again to 17. juice fermenting is where it's at!

Wade, in regards to that lodi pail I see, all you pretty much have to do is pitch yeast? and it ferments right in the pail and the pail is reusable?

As for my "cellar" ...
I have about 19 gallons of wine either fermenting or aging.
I'll have more next year. I started in October.

Last edited:
Thats the great part of getting fresh juice and you can reyse the bucket. It comes balenced. Add k-meta to kill wild yeast, wait 24 hrs pitch yeast and nutrient. Then the fum part begins...:dg

No. I just use them for Primary. So, I lay the lid on top till I rack @ 1.015ish.
You should not "snap" the lid closed on the primary. The yeasties need oxygen to reproduce better.

Mine came with a sort of built in airlock but I wouldnt ferment in that bucket as it doesnt have enough extra room in there for a vigorous fermentation. They are kept very chilled bt even then lots of times they start ferm,entin on their own slowly and thats why they do that airlock thing.

Yea thats a relief valve. Of all the juice I have bought I never had a problem where it went over the pail. Some buckets I got had more like 6 1/2 gal and no problem. Lay the lid ajar is what I did.

Hey Guys... do not fret... I have the solution to your overly large inventory problem... heh... heh... heh.
All you have to do is to invite Hillbilly Bill and Hillgal Wanda over for a week or so and your inventory problem will be a thing of the past...
Bwaaaahaaaahaaaaaaaa!
HB

Fear not The Wine Club that Joeswine and I have drink plenty each month at our meetings. It seems sometimes we "must" drink 3 cases at the meetings. :dg :dg

Now that sounds like my kind of club meeting. What kind of vehicle does the designated driver have... a Greyhound bus? LOL!
HB

Latest posts

Back