My Covid project

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnW

Reaction score
Three years ago I built a dry bar for liquor and storage which turned out to be mostly for looks. (We don't drink much liquor - Mostly wine or an occasional beer.) I had planned to do wine storage elsewhere but that never happened. I ended up keeping bottles and carboys in the cabinets below in what would best be described as an unorganized mess. I finally built some shelves so that I could properly store some of my wine bottles. Each of the four shelves hold 11 bottles. I use the other side for cases and a carboy or two. I tried (and failed miserably) to insulate and cool the two cabinets. Fortunately it is up against an exterior basement wall which stays cool most of the year, Here are a few pics.

2020-10-18_16-24-11_305 (2020-11-03T18_44_28.787).jpg2020-10-18_16-25-07_685.jpg2020-10-08_14-05-11_060[1].jpg

Beautiful!

I noticed the Pearmund bottles and immediately had to scroll up to see where you were from. There's a handful of us here in NOVA.

Beautiful!

I noticed the Pearmund bottles and immediately had to scroll up to see where you were from. There's a handful of us here in NOVA.
I figured a few Virginians would recognize those bottles. We like to go wine tasting and Pearmund is definitely one of our favorites. Hopefully we will be able to make some more tasting trips this year as my supply is running critically low. :(Thank goodness for Total Wine

I figured a few Virginians would recognize those bottles. We like to go wine tasting and Pearmund is definitely one of our favorites. Hopefully we will be able to make some more tasting trips this year as my supply is running critically low. :(Thank goodness for Total Wine

What other wineries do you go to? We are members at Pearmond, Effingham, Bull Run, Chrysalis and Three Creeks and AWS John Marshall Chapter. Do you visit any of these.

What other wineries do you go to? We are members at Pearmond, Effingham, Bull Run, Chrysalis and Three Creeks and AWS John Marshall Chapter. Do you visit any of these.
We are currently only members at Pearmond but have visited all you mentioned above and plenty more. Our two main routes out I-66 or up route 9 hitting the Loudin county vineyards like Breaux, Doukénie and Hillsborough Vineyards.

Prior to Covid we visited Arterra Wines. I was fascinated to learn that rather than adding yeast they ferment with wild yeast from skins. Whatever they do their wine is excellent.

Last edited:
Nice sliding-out racks! Same here with dwindling supplies since Covid. Hope we can get back to normal this year.

Nice sliding-out racks! Same here with dwindling supplies since Covid. Hope we can get back to normal this year.
Thanks Greg. Hopefully 2021 will be a much better year for all!

I had a problem with the bottles sliding around when opened or closed. After a few attempts I found this tacky, stick-on product called CatTongue which did the job.

Latest posts

Back