My Christmas Present (early)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medic8106

Reaction score
My wife is always checking Facebook "yard sale sites" and such for good deals on items folks no longer want or need. She came to me the other day and showed me a post which simply said "wine making equipment, moving sale". At first I wasn't really interested but she sent the person a message asking for details. The wife said there was a wine rack and some other misc items, her husband would know more. So I have been looking for a rack for some time so I decided to call. Again he said he had a wine rack and lived within 5 minutes of my house if I wanted to come look. I went to his house the same night and was shocked. He was moving and wanted to sell everything. He had a wine rack, floor to ceiling for 156 bottles. Plus he had an additional 2 shelves he made for the rack so I can make a smaller rack to hold 26 bottles. He only made about 4 kits so all the other equipment was near brand new. He had a floor corker, 6.5 primary, brew belt, large bottle drying tree, large auto siphon, bottle filler, bottle washer, (2) 5 gallon glass carboys, 3 cases of empty clean bottles, a new hand corker never opened, a degassing whip for my drill, and some misc tubing, shrink tops and chemicals. I really wanted the rack and already have a floor corker. I didn't want to pick through and take only what I wanted and leave him with the rest so I asked what he wanted for all of it. He said, "I don't know, what did my wife have it posted for?" I told him she had $150 listed thinking he would ask much more for all of this. He looked at me and said, $125 and you can have it all and I'll remove the rack and have it ready for you to pick-up". SOLD!!!:r

What a deal! I sold the floor corker to a friend for a great price and giving the hand corker to another friend just starting out making wine. Below is a picture of the wine rack (with my 4 year old standing by it). Hand made and stained with a 10 degree forward angle on the shelves. Happy, happy, happy...

IMG_7979825487544.jpg

I Got a good deal yesterday, snatched it right out from under Julie...LOL In Kittanning Pa. I found an add for 5 gallon carboys. $15.00 ea, when I got there the guy had 10 of them 2 were sort of dirty, he said he started off with 42 and this was what was left after being picked over. 5 were like new, Mexican glass 2 were Arrowhead water bottles blue glass, 1 was unknown and 2 were dirty Italian glass. after some negotiation he let me have them all for $100.00, One of them was promised to a buddy for $20,00 he took a new looking Mexican. while there a friend of his saw the arrowhead and offered me $45.00 for it, Sold. Now I have 8 left that I am Into for $35.00 $4.38 each quite the deal me thinks.

Way to go tenbears!!!!

Now you just need to fill them up!

No need to worry about that, I had 2 batches going when I went to get them, I also had traded some basswood honey 10 gallons of Meadowfoam honey and 5 carrot. So I am planning on doing a few Varietal meads. I am hoping to do a kit wine, I have never done a kit and was wanting to try some verities that were not local. They will pretty much be filled by groundhog day,

Back