my cab sav is not clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so i am into my 7th week and i have followed all instructions to the letter, and yet this wine batch is not clearing up . i have racked it 2 times to get the sediment out that has accumulated. just wondering if there is anything i can do or just wait for it to clear up ? any help would be appreciated. :? ok it was a ken ridge classic premium kit, the spg was .992 when i started clarifing process .temp is normally around 69 or 70 degrees ......thanks to everyone who helped me on this topic i raised the temp to 74 degrees and degassed a few more times using my spoon and my drill mounted whip changing directions often. and i purchased a bottle of isinglass and added proper portion and after a couple of days i can see the sediment on the bottom of my carboy i am thinking it should be cleared up in a couple more days;).... once again thanks everyone

Last edited:
Perhaps you can tell us what instructions you are following (kit? which one. from grapes?). Also provide some temperature and specific gravity info.

Based on the info provided above, all I can say is wait some more.

Steve

I bet you have not degassed. If so do it again. Suspended gas will hinder clearing as it suspends the sediment

ok it was a ken ridge premium kit the spg was .992 when i started clarifing process temp is normally around 69 or 70 degrees
The above was added to the original message. Still don't know which of many Ken Ridge kits (and three different lines of kits). .992 is normal finishing sg for most of these kits, so thats good. Most of these kits use Isinglass as a clearing agent, but a few reds use Chitosan.

I have made MANY MANY Ken Ridge kits (I used to make them in a Ferment on Premises) and have had very few problems with them clearing. However, I kept the temperatures higher (about 72-74 F) and this makes the degassing easier.

Sounds like Tom may be correct about needing more degassing. There are two comments in the instructions about incomplete degassing causing problems with clearing.

I would rack off sediment, degas some more, and then leave it for another week or two.

Steve

thanks i'll try that. i did use my wine whip to degass at least 10 times over three days before clarification process but maybe it wasn't enough thank you for the response.:br

What temp was the wine when you degassed cause colder then 74* makes it harder for the wine to give up its gas as cooler temps hold in C02 much more.

thanks i'll try that. i did use my wine whip to degass at least 10 times over three days before clarification process but maybe it wasn't enough thank you for the response.:br
I'm not a big fan of the round-and-round stirring method of degassing. I do some stirring that way to make sure that the additives are mixed, but I find moving the stirring spoon side-to-side to be more effective.

Of course, many folks are vacuum degassing these days.

Steve

If in a few days it's still no clearing you can also add a pack of kieselsol.

clearing problem

i am also having problems with clarity, is it a bad idea to add clearing agent again. doin a cab sav 5 week cellar craft, i did add an fpac of bluberrys, rasberrys and chocolate honey for a sweeten. i just racked again there and has been 3 weeks since i added f pac and clearing agents etc. it is still a bit cloudy and murky, what to do??

It wont harm the wine to add another clearing agent. But stir it in gently so you don't move any of the sediment on the bottom.

Latest posts

Back