My Best Toy Ever...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built a pulley lift system in my basement using a sliding door hanger and some pulleys. I use a 2 wheeler to move things into position and then lift them to the workbench height, slide them over and lower them down. This way I'm pulling a rope downward instead of lifting a heavy carboy.

Anyway you slice it, getting past the "heavy lifting" is essential to happy brewing.

That sounds fantastic! I had this vision of one touch and it might drop straight down very quickly like one of those pneumatic car jacks. One slight twist and bam, its down.

Great deal with the 20% off coupons they have had recently.

OK Mike I had it loaded up with my Brute and thought I would give it a try (you got me thinking about it). When it was all the way up I hit the lever. YIPPEE!! The heavier the load the slower it goes. Even with an empty carboy, it safely lowered.

Runningwolf: Do you mainly use this for racking and raising full carboys/fermenters? Or do you wheel them around to different locations as well (i.e. bulk age in different location that fermentation)? Would a vacuum pump possibly replace most of what you use the cart for?

Paul, thanks for sharing that. It's been a few years since I saw that and it's funny as heck.

Wi Wino, I own a vacuum pump and this is way easier and faster. The only piece of equipment I use for racking is the auto siphon and if I wanted to use a bigger hose for quick transfer I could. I don't mind lifting 6 gallon carboys. It's when I add 6 of them to a brute or a few to a demi for blending or adding sugar, I can do all that, rise the cart up and quickly siphon back. Yes I can also wheel them around if I want to.

Now to answer your other question "Would a vacuum pump possibly replace most of what you use the cart for?" I purchased the cart to replace my vacuum pump. In wine making they both can do the same job, it's just my preference and after one afternoon of blending and racking close to 100 gallons of wine I realize I made the right choice for me. I still have at least another 50 gallons of apple, pear and Italian wines to rack or blend yet.

Dan, I looked at those when I initially hurt my back. There was another company also that was making something similar and its true purpose was for wine carboys. I ended up with just the vacuum pump and it worked great for me but for larger volumes and vessels that cant be vacuumed I can sure see that coming into play big time!

Wow,I thought that a vacuum pump would be faster than a siphon for racking.

Paul I just went right by that without really looking at it first. I saw the Rickety Greenhouse and thought it was appropriately named and didn't give it a second thought. Then later I noticed the whale gutting knife.............. at that point it struck me just what it was.:slp

Latest posts

Back