RJ Spagnols My Best Kit!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkisel

Reaction score
Getting right to the point, my best kit ever is now the RJS WS Amarone! This is with having about 20 kits under my belt, three of which have been other RJS WS kits (Wash. Merlot, Super Tuscan and Cab. Sav.).

The really surprising thing is that the wine hadn't been bulk aged more than four months. Wife and I are moving, assuming no snags, next month so I wanted to get the Amarone bottled and wound up with about 1/2 a bottle overage which I drank over the past two evenings. The wine on the front end was very smooth going down with just a bit of heat at the very end of the swallow. This surprised me considering that at a calculated 14.83% ABV it is the hottest wine that has come out of my basement... and it is so young. I can't begin to imagine what it'll be like 6 months or so from now.

Kit came with grape skins, oak (chips, if I remember correctly) and raisins. I highly recommend this kit to those who like full bodied, dry red wines.

Last edited:
Way to go Bill....:r

Save me a bottle to trade with my Mosti Amarone Renaissance with raisins so we can do a comparison, but mine is even younger so you'd need to save it for later.

Getting right to the point, my best kit ever is now the RJS WS Amarone! This is with having about 20 kits under my belt, three of which have been other RJS WS kits (Wash. Merlot, Super Tuscan and Cab. Sav.).

The really surprising thing is that the wine hadn't been bulk aged more than four months. Wife and I are moving, assuming no snags, next month so I wanted to get the Amarone bottled and wound up with about 1/2 a bottle overage which I drank over the past two evenings. The wine on the front end was very smooth going down with just a bit of heat at the very end of the swallow. This surprised me considering that at a calculated 14.83% ABV it is the hottest wine that has come out of my basement... and it is so young. I can't begin to imagine what it'll be like 6 months or so from now.

Kit came with grape skins, oak (chips, if I remember correctly) and raisins. I highly recommend this kit to those who like full bodied, dry red wines.

My only criticism is that it took you 2 nights for 1/2 bottle! :)

Bill,
I too made this one in January, but it was my first kit. Having made a few buckets of juice in the fall, and like you did not have enough to fill another container drank it.
Knowing how good it was after just a few months just reaffirms what time will bring!

Thanks,

Steve

Funny how our tastes can be so different. My wife took two sips from the first night's glass of Amarone that I poured, made a non-complimentary face as she handed the glass back and said something like... "I'm glad you like it.". About the only red I've made that my wife liked was a back sweetened (two cups of sugar) Pinot Noir.

Back