My batch just got done....did it go bad?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kekogl08

Junior
Reaction score
Alright so I'm very new to this whole process. I've only done it about 3 times before. I made a batch of apple cinnamon balloon wine. It was sat for at least a week and there is no more CO2 being produced. I took off the balloon and i smelled it right away and it almost burnt my nose. Is this normal? Then I tried it and it was VERY dry.

My exact recipe was...

1 can apple concentrate
2 cups white sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
1 packet bread yeast (yes I know you're not supposed to use it but we have NO brew shops within 50 miles)
1 gallon water

Help?

What was the starting sg? Most wines will ferment dry if the proper starting sg is not met to leave it sweet and that is a crap shoot some times as a good yeast colony can sometimes taks it much farther then you want it and leave you with a very hot(high abv) which is what I believe you have just encountered. Do you have a hydrometer?

some times as a good yeast colony can sometimes takes it much farther then you want it and leave you with a very hot(high abv)

lol that happened to me on our Raspberry Pineapple, It kept going, past the readable SG on the meter lol we guess it is about....0.980 from 1.1 lol its going to be a interesting drink.:D

Back