my aunt said this would happen

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrygirl

Reaction score
when she heard i was making wine, she tells me, "you know it'll explode on you at some point"? i said, no, i've got all the proper equipment, blah, blah, blah...(her son has made homemade wine before...old fashioned way...no s.g. or airlocks, etc.)
so tonight, my apple/pear spice is at 1.002 and i racked to 5 gallon carboy and it fit JUST RIGHT...so i airlock it and go do some errands and come back and the airlock looks funny...it FULL of cloudy apple wine!!!!
so i take the airlock off and AWAY WE GO! foaming all over the place. now my perfectly filled 5 gallon carboy is somewhere between the shoulder and neck:f
i think i'll have other questions later...right now i'm just too mad

Kinda like when I was boiling hops and mixing sugar in a big pot of water to add to my wine must. When I gave it a stir the whole thing just blew out of the pot. What a sticky mess all over the stove and floor. I won't do that again.

Larry

You live and you learn - my first batch did that - was a horrible mess - came home from work - look like somebody kicked it over and picked it back up hoping i wouldn't notice :h

Don't worry, like W.M. said, he has had it happen and I'll venture to guess most of the others have too. I on the other hand have only had it happen once. Fortunately I was on a concrete floor. Easy cleanup. lol

At least 2 ferments I have done in carboys have clogged the airlock and then blown must and herbs all over the ceiling. My wife just kept asking when I gonna clean those chunks off the ceiling. :p

LOL Hubs peach ale did that.....looked so horrible

i woke up to get ready for work and the kid ready for school the dogs fed blah blah blah blah.....saw this....turned around told my daughter she didnt see a thing...went to work/school!!!! called hubby at work (he was about to get off, he works nights) and told him to make sure to look in the kitchen before he went to bed!!!!! LMAO!!!!!

wahhhaaahaaa
now ya'll made me feel better! i just felt so helpless, lol. you can't stop it and it just keeps coming and coming. thanks for making me smile about it today. i guess since it's still going pretty good, i don't have to worry about topping off just yet...i hope not, cuz, there ain't no apple wine handy to top up with.

This is why I ferment in the bucket until almost dry. Let the SG get down to about 1.015 then airlock it.

This is why I ferment in the bucket until almost dry. Let the SG get down to about 1.015 then airlock it.

racking early to get the skeeter pee...lol
it was at 1.005. it's still pretty foamy tonight, but i don't dare take the airlock off, lol. dropping lots of sediment.

Probably a curse to say it but I've been fortunate. I've only blown corks out of a few bottles.
I had a friend that thought he would try some blackberry. Put it in a primary five gallon bucket that would accept a air lock. Had it too full, a berry plugged the air lock.
The fermenter exploded all over his garage.

Probably a curse to say it but I've been fortunate. I've only blown corks out of a few bottles.
I had a friend that thought he would try some blackberry. Put it in a primary five gallon bucket that would accept a air lock. Had it too full, a berry plugged the air lock.
The fermenter exploded all over his garage.

oh, i cannot imagine fermenting blackberry pulp all over, wow...now i just feel lucky, lol

Countrygirl, I don't know how you are with your Aunty but if I was you, I think I wouldn't say a word about it to her! Lol... :)

Rika stay away from building a still, just for now.

We will need to get you some safety equipment first!!!

LOL(with compassion).

Latest posts

Back