My 2nd Go at Winemaking...

Discussion in 'Kit Winemaking' started by FunkedOut, Aug 10, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Oct 7, 2019 #21

FunkedOut

FunkedOut

FunkedOut

Friday night, I racked the D254 batch to a 6 gallon carboy after squeezing the bag of skins pretty well.
    Added sulfites and degassed a good bit (5 minutes at -25"Hg).
    I still needed to top up the carboy with 1.75 bottles of wine; that's like 3 pints.
    No oak cubes, yet. I added the clearing agents and will rack again in a month before adding those.

Tonight was the night to start the D80 batch.
    Prepared the kit the same exact way, only this time, I didn't lose a pint of good juice when adding the skins.
    I placed the bag over the mouth of the fermonster and poured the skins in with an extra set of hands.
    The level of must was up over the 6.5 gallon mark before pitching the yeast.
    After a lot of stirring, the highest gravity I could measure is 1.092.

The D254 batch was measuring 1.095 at pitching time and peaked at 1.098 the next day.
    We'll see what tomorrow brings...

2. Oct 11, 2019 #22

FunkedOut

FunkedOut

FunkedOut

The D80 batch only measured as high as 1.094. I guess there is some variance from kit to kit.
    The D80 definitely got off to a slower start, but got caught up pretty quickly.
    D80 took 1 more day to hit the 1/3 sugar break than the D254, but came in just a few hours behind on hitting the 2/3 sugar break.

This morning, I decided to button up the fermonster and leave it sealed for the rest of the 8 week extended maceration. Measured 1.017.
    I used a stopper in the fermonster lid with two holes; an airlock in one and a 16" thermowell in the other.
    Not really interested in using the thermowell for measuring temperature, but so far, it's doing a great job of keeping the skin bag submerged.
    Hopefully, it will hold so I don't have to slosh it around for next couple of weeks.
    6DBE4E29-0481-4B6E-921F-C2EA43BE0BE6.jpeg