Other MV Winemakers Reserve Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
Look for some feedback on the MV Winemakers Reserve Shiraz kit. (Seems like lots of excellent reviews on the Midwest site)

Also...if you've made it - did you do any tweaking...

Thanks in advance....

Cheers!

Yes, I've made this multiple times. My wife likes the MV winemakers reserve kits as every day drinkers, so I make about 1 kit a year each of the cab, merlot, carmenere, and shiraz. Best modification you can do with that kit is extra oak after fermentation. I usually throw 30-90g of oak cubes in a few months after fermentation. The oak staves are good also.

A couple other things I've tried: I have added some extra tannins to these kits a month or two prior to bottling, with varying success. I have also boosted the starting SG of the cab by adding sugar, to get up to 14.5-15% final ABV. I found that increases the perceived fruitiness and sweetness, which can be balanced by some extra oak. Overall increases the "bigness" of the wine, imo.

In general, I feel these MV kits are perfect for playing around and trying things to see what happens. I've had a couple I liked less than others (still very drinkable), but a couple where the modifications really made a fun, interesting wine. And they're priced reasonably enough that I don't worry too much about messing something up.

Give it a try. I'd love to hear what you do and how it goes!

Yes, I've made this multiple times. My wife likes the MV winemakers reserve kits as every day drinkers, so I make about 1 kit a year each of the cab, merlot, carmenere, and shiraz. Best modification you can do with that kit is extra oak after fermentation. I usually throw 30-90g of oak cubes in a few months after fermentation. The oak staves are good also.

A couple other things I've tried: I have added some extra tannins to these kits a month or two prior to bottling, with varying success. I have also boosted the starting SG of the cab by adding sugar, to get up to 14.5-15% final ABV. I found that increases the perceived fruitiness and sweetness, which can be balanced by some extra oak. Overall increases the "bigness" of the wine, imo.

In general, I feel these MV kits are perfect for playing around and trying things to see what happens. I've had a couple I liked less than others (still very drinkable), but a couple where the modifications really made a fun, interesting wine. And they're priced reasonably enough that I don't worry too much about messing something up.

Thanks for the Feedback! I will definitely be oaking the Shiraz during bulk again. Not sure yet if I will toss either raisins or currants in during fermentation - along with the provided oak chips. Will report back once I get things rolling.

Cheers!

For the Shiraz....have you always used the provided EC1118 yeast or have you switched it up?

Cheers✌

I have switched it up, though I'm not sure how much difference it makes. I've used RC212 usually, though I'm thinking about trying BM4x4.

I have switched it up, though I'm not sure how much difference it makes. I've used RC212 usually, though I'm thinking about trying BM4x4.
I'm going with the provided EC1118... Have tried RC212 once b4 on a Chilean Red Blend and really had to babysit it to reach FG of 1.000 after 4weeks. I too am not sure how much difference in the flavor profile it made....its bulk aging currently.

Cheers!

I am certainly not an expert by anyone’s imagination but I suspect that there are so many variables during the ferment/aging process that it’s nearly impossible to say one yeast is better than another. My preference however is to save the EC-1118 for harder to start wines like skeeter pee and go with a less aggressive slower fermenting yeast.

Would be interested to know what yeasts the Big Boys use for their vinos... ie) the top wineries around the world...

Too bad the yeast type isn't required to be listed on the label... lol. Most will claim proprietary info I'm sure :)

Always nice to learn from others having success...

Cheers!

Ferment done ✌ Smells awesome!

Attachments

• 0815211130a.jpg
    0815211130a.jpg
    785.6 KB · Views: 22

Latest posts

Back