Musty smell to White Grape wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicpay

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, New to Wine making so be gentle with me!! We picked just over 40kilo's of grapes from our vines last October and thought it would be a good idea to start making wine, I had an old wine recipe book and proceeded, I think I left the must in the fermentation bins too long and the wine smells of musty grapes. The wine is very clear, tastes very strong (no Hydrometer reading) but smells, any ieas how I can get rid of smell?
Thanks

nic

Were the grapes good and fresh when you started fermention or were they musty or diseased to begin with. Diseased grapes from a myriad of diseases can lead to off smells as well. Did you innoculate with a wine yeast and if so, which one?

Hi, grapes were fresh, picked from our own vines, I think the yeast was just an off the shelf wine yeast. I didn't write anything down! I will next time. If the smell wasn't so off putting, its not a bad taste, still very young.

hello nicpay and welcome to our forum,

Sometimes off smells can be remedied by splash racking the must before bottling time.. this can introduce a lot of oxgen though and age it far faster than you'd prefer. You are 4 months down the track from initial primary ferment?.. just wondering if your wine is bulk aging or you have bottled and the tested bottles have an off scent?

There is a chance decanting and allowing to sit in the fridge for an hour before serving may fix it.. ( cut an apple in half and put in your fridge also.. it absorbs smells).. otherwise you may have to take your chances and leave it bottled a year and hope for the best.

never throw out a wine unless it actually tastes like vinegar, time is a great healer.

Allie

Hello Nicpay... You didn't mention the current state of the wine. Is it bottled, aging in a carboy, or is it still in a bucket, etc?

Wine hasn't been bottled yet, made up a couple of bottles in December, these are sitting in cool cellar, as I said before, very clear etc, wine is still in Demijohns (Carboys) Was wondering should I bottle now or is there something I could add to the wine now efore bottling?
Thanks

There isn't any additive specifically for a musty smell. I would add the proper amount of potassium metabisulfite if you haven't already (around 1/4 teaspoon per 5-6 gallons). If it is absolutely clear, bottle it and leave it alone for 6 months. Hope it comes around for you. Good luck.

Nicpay,i agree with ST.Allie splash racking will help with the smell but does it taste musty?Also you say you kept the must in the fermenting bins too long.How long?You do in deed need to use a Hydrometer.1 other question do you have air locks on your holding containers,and are your containers full at all times?Topped up always.Good luck,Rock

Back