Other "Musty Basement" taste and smell...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketBee

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, what am I doing wrong? My lovely bride who has been very supportive of this winemaking hobby, is also giving me some constructive feedback that a lot of my kits have this "musty basement taste and smell" sometimes maybe a little corky? She also suggested I throw it out here on the forum to get some advice on how to remove it from my wines. Whenever I open a bottle it's the first thing she checks...and it often shows up to her dissatisfaction. I don't think we're talking about corked wine...I've tasted that before and promptly spit it out. This is mostly in the background. Maybe it's the cheap corks I bought off of Amazon? Or maybe I start using synthetic corks...What am I doing wrong? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

I do not have enough experience with wine to really say, but if I got that from a beer I made, and I have, I got it out of my system by increasing my sanitation efforts. Everything that does not sanitize itself I hit hard and often including walls and ceiling in the brewery. Hope that help.

Latest posts

Back